It is currently June 26th, 2017, 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 2014 BUCKeye Bowhunt
PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Member
Looks like we may have us an unofficial gathering of a few PBSers in Ohio this coming week. David Kretchmar and his friend Seth drove over from NH yesterday, set up their camp in a nice cabin...

and began hunting today...

They will be hunting some public land that they have never seen before.

My bowhunting "fast" is over, as I have worked hard the last few weeks to satisfy my two bosses. My reward is 6 or 7 days of bowhunting in Ohio, with two deer tags and one turkey tag, excellent weather, and fellowship with some PBS friends. I too plan to hunt public land, about an hour away from the other guys, that I have never hunted before, but recommended by PBSer Bill Dunn and another excellent bowhunter in the area. I am taking up my boat and using a primitive campsite at the back of a lake. I expect that Bill and possibly his wife Tracey will come over to hunt with me some. The general plan is that David and Seth will hunt their area and I will hunt my area for a few days, then whichever is better, we may join up and hunt together. I am leaving sometime late tonight and hope to get to the lake by lunch tomorrow, set up camp and scout the entire weekend, picking several good stand sites for next week. This is the type of buck I am looking for...

I am not taking my computer but I will try to provide updates during the hunt. I have a new phone but it is a lot smarter than me. :roll:

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 2014 BUCKeye Bowhunt
PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 7:34 pm 

Good luck guys!! David is as good a guy as there is. I don't know Seth, but being a friend of David's, I'm sure he's a great guy too!!

PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 7:58 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Good luck guys. I think you should let that one walk, Jeff. Just think what he will look like in another year! :D

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 6:52 pm 

Jeff....

Your hunt timing is good, though the weather may be a challenge through Saturday. Today I had bucks dogging does all day on the farm. Plenty of grunting and deer interaction happening. I grunted a nice 10 pt to my stand but never considered a shot. He was aggressive and blocky, but needs to grow one more year. Last night I had a close encounter on the ground, with a 140-ish 10 pt rubbing saplings 40 yards from me.

Good luck.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2014, 11:47 am 

Sounds like a blast. I look forward to hearing about the results.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2014, 8:53 am 

Hey all, figured I would chime in here while I had a chance. Jeff just left us this morning after coming over last night. It was good to see him and catch up in person.....plus he had a big pot of elk stroganoff on the stove ready to eat when we came in
Seth has been a very good friend of mine since the early 90's, he is a great guy and a very good hunter. As Jeff said we got here last Wednesday evening, scouted Thursday and have been hunting ever since. We have both seen a number of deer and most of them have been bucks.........one might even be coming home with me! :D
Cell coverage is very poor here, I will try to post some pics and update our part of this hunt when I can.......and when I can figure out how to post pictures from this phone.

David

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well the hunt is over; I had to come home early due to work problems and both David and Seth are making the long drive to NH now. Photos and stories will follow soon.

As with most of my hunts, there were surprises, disappointments, excitement and chances to fill my tags. Best of all, I got to see David and Seth one night to share a meal and stories, and Bill Dunn was able to spend two days in my remote Ohio wilderness camp with me. Stay tuned. :)

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 7:40 pm 

Sorry you had to leave early Jeff... in my experience the woods can be magical Nov 6-12 in OH.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 10:15 pm 

Jeff Holchin wrote:
Well the hunt is over; I had to come home early due to work problems

Sorry to hear the hunt was cut short Jeff. Sounds like problems with work, NOT "work problems". HA!!!

A boat ride to a primitive camp is the beginning of an awesome hunting story.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 10:16 am 

I'll try to get this caught up today, but there are some honey-dos to catch up on too.
I had met Jeff 12 or 13 years ago when he drew a NH moose tag in a zone I used to spend a lot of time in. I offered to give him whatever help I could, he accepted and somehow I found him on a remote mountain top at 5:30 one morning that had no real roads going to it. We still talk about that today. It would be good to see him again.
Seth and I had never been to the area we were going to hunt, state forest land in Pike County. We got there on a Wednesday night, scouted Thursday morning and our first hunt was that afternoon. I saw one doe at dusk, while Seth didn't see anything. I liked the spot I was in though and planned on giving it some time. We hunted again Friday morning, planning on scouting in the afternoon as a steady rain was coming in. At about 11 am a small 6 point chased a doe around in the bottom about 70 yards away, then up the hill towards me, ending up about 30 yards from me before chasing her away. We spent the afternoon scouting again, looking for a new spot for Seth as he had yet to se a deer. We found a very good looking spot a few miles away that Seth would hunt in the morning.
Saturday morning was cold and wet with high winds. I saw a lone doe, Seth saw two bucks but had no shots.
We were back at it in the afternoon, I got settled into my stand just before three. I had been there for about a half hour when I heard a deer sneezing towards the head of the hollow to my right. It stopped for a bit and then started again, only closer this time. I saw the deer working its way towards me from about 150 yards away and could tell it was a buck right off. I got binoculars on him, and saw that while he wasn't a monster he was a decent deer and would be hard for me to pass on if given the chance. He continued towards me, and about 60 yards away stopped and freshened a scrape and was working a licking branch. This was the first time in my life I have been able to watch a deer do that while hunting, I have to say it was pretty cool. (For those of you that have not hunted deer in NH you just don't see that type of behavior due to low deer numbers. Heck, we only kill around 2200 deer a year here with archery gear). By now I was able to tell he was an 8 point and I had made my mind up I was going to shoot him if given the chance. He finished his business and came to me like he was on a string, passing within feet of a trail camera I had on the roadbed he was following.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 10:20 am 

Here he is as he passes the camera. The roadbed straight ahead is where he walks, right towards the two small downed tress. My stand is in a tree just to the left, uphill from that roadbed........

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 10:42 am 

That walk led to this......

David

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 10:51 am 

:D

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Back in 1996 I moved to Ohio specifically for the deer hunting, and experienced six great years there before I moved away for a new job. That job didn't exactly pan out and we ended up in North Carolina, where we decided as a family to put down some roots. I know other PBSers have some very good deer hunting here in NC, but for me, it has been a deer hunting hell. I have a small farm that includes a woodlot, some fields and several food plots - I have yet to even see a deer this fall.

For many years after moving away in 2002, my son Daniel and I returned to hunt the Cincinnati farm where I did most of my hunting. Unfortunately the farmer and later his wife died, and the farm was lost. Here is the story of our last hunt there..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1275

Daniel and I decided that we wanted to hunt Ohio again this year, so after the PBS banquet in Cinci in March, I checked out some public land in south central Ohio. It looked decent and we turkey hunted it later in the spring, but it was so over-run with hunters that we gave up after one day due to safety concerns. I began looking for another area and my new friend Bill Dunn suggested an area that I had overlooked in my search. Another bowhunting friend had also recommended the area, which is a lake surrounded by both recreational areas and hunting areas. The more I checked into this area, the more I realized that hunting it from the water was the way to go. However, calls to people who should have known the area, including the local game warden, produced somewhat confusing and even conflicting information. The ODNR maps of the area where similarly vague. I wanted to get up there in the later summer or early fall for a scouting trip, but for some reason couldn't find the time. All I knew was that there were several thousands of acres to hunt around the lake, and a primitive campsite that could be accessed from the lake. This was what I was looking for...

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 3:34 pm 

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 12:10 PM Profile for Huntrdfk Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
He walked right down that roadbed, stopping once and looking my way. I thought I was done as I was in a tree with no cover, but apparently the height given by being uphill and being 15 feet up was enough, and he never noticed me, continuing on the roadbed. As he was approaching the downed trees in the roadbed I softly bleated to stop him. He did, I drew, aimed, and as I released he began to walk again. The arrow struck him a little back and high, hitting his spine and dropping him immediately. He drug himself into the thicket, where I was able to finish him off. Here he is in his final resting spot........

-

I am ecstatic to be able to take this deer on public land in the
manner I did, I will certainly be back to Ohio, hopefully sooner rather than later.

David

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Pretty cool to get his photo seconds before the shot.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 8:04 am 
Site Admin

I couldn't find an obvious campsite on the lake so I took my best guess and set up camp just before dark on friday. I woke up on saturday to snow flurries and walked the area until noon, seeing four bucks that were cruising. I also found lots of hunters, which is not surprising for a saturday on public land. I also heard lots of shooting on the lake, as waterfowl season was open. In the afternoon I explored down towards the cove and finally found the remote campsite, which consisted of several wooden shelters about 300 yards from the water. Returning to my camp, I needed to relocate but couldn't start the outboard motor. I tried for an hour to fix it, but later I learned that somehow I had damaged the ignition switch and blown a fuse. Luckily I did have a small trolling motor that would get me out, but my plans to really explore the lake were shot. I spent most of sunday walking the trails and exploring more areas, seeing another three bucks - two little bucks were rattled in. Sunday late afternoon I packed up camp and made it back to my truck using the trolling motor. Sunday night I visited David and Seth, and was back at the lake on monday morning. I checked out a walk-in area and saw two more bucks that were cruising for does. Unfortunately I was also checked by a coast guard officer and failed a safety inspection of my boat because the lights were not working, but talked my way into a warning rather than a fine. Monday afternoon Bill Dunn and I went back into the remote camp using the trolling motor. We hunted there through tuesday and saw several more bucks and does.

I had planned to stay another day or two, but with the boat problem and some issues at work that needed my attention, I headed for home tuesday night. I did prove to myself that hunting this area from the lake was the best way, and plan to return in another week or two, before the rut is over I have more photos of the area, but for some reason Photobucket won't upload.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Just a few photos of the area:

I could not resist shooting at every puffball I saw..

Here is the wrong camp location..

Here is the right camp location..

I am told that every boat deserves a name. One possibility is HMS Unfaithful?

Or maybe HMS Unreliable?

Of course, it is VERY likely that the problem is operator error.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

There were a ton of these around, but I missed my shots at them..

Obviously some beavers in the area also..

One really cool thing was that almost every rock I saw had fossils in it..

It was a great time to be in the woods, I can't wait to return.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 9:14 pm 

Cool photos Jeff....thanks!

That the same pink pillow that you had in Utah? That thing has gotten some miles on it this year!

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 9:27 pm 

Well.....your nickname is "Kill Switch"

Sounds like a great time and thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

I have the boat repaired and am itching for another hunt (or maybe that is the poison oak I got into last week). Either way, I maybe be headed north later this week for round 2...

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 11:26 am 
Site Admin

I just got the call every dad wants to hear: "Hey dad, I have the weekend free, let's go hunting together". I don't know this area well yet, but good enough to put Daniel within range of some deer, I hope. :)

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 1:29 pm 

Good luck to you two.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 5:12 pm 

That's awesome Jeff!!!! Good luck!

David

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 5:48 pm 

That's awesome Jeff!!!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Got back very late last night - it was a lot of driving and things didn't go as expected, but was still fun. I ended up picking up Daniel from school late thursday and driving through the night, arriving at the boat ramp right before dawn. I am getting a little old to work all day and drive all night, but hoped that it would be worth it to experience good rutting action. The air temp was 19 degrees and there was ice at the water's edge. Besides a few deer in Kentucky, there were no deer out and about before we arrived at the lake. I expected to see bucks and does being very active. We decided to delay our launch and check out the area near the boat ramp, which is thick and brushy. We worked our way back towards the "wilderness camp", eventually seeing about a dozen does by later morning. Before we launched, we had to drive to the park office to register. They have a few decent bucks on the wall, which were poached at the park...

I had another big, remote area in mind that I really wanted to focus on this trip, across the lake. So when we launched, we headed over there to check it out. It looked great, but we made a decision that eventually backfired: go back to the wilderness camp where all those does were, hoping that the bucks would be there too. I had one cold bowhunter in the boat..

I hung a treestand in a funnel area and put Daniel in it..

The lake was down about 5 feet and I needed hip boots to unload the boat and then carry the gear 300 yards to the camp..

I sat another area and we saw about 8 more does, for a total of close to 20 for the area but not a single buck, and no chasing. Disappointing.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

The low that night would be 16 degrees and the camp shelter did not offer much protection..

The fire helped a little..

There was a community pot available for cooking, but we declined..

I had a hard time getting my cold teenager out of his warm sleeping bag before daylight. Our water jugs were frozen solid. We hunted till noon and saw another 8 does, but noting close enough to shoot and no bucks. We had to try some place else. Daniel made us a lakeshore lunch of elk burgers while I pulled the treestand...

The park has some strange rules and I realized the good looking area I wanted to hunt, would be closed tomorrow (Sunday), so we decided to find another area where we could hang some stands and hunt them that night and sunday morning. However, we wasted the rest of the afternoon checking out two areas. The first area, I couldn't even get to with my boat and the second area was over-run with hunters, due to easy access. With an hour till dark, we looked over the map and selected one last promising area. Arriving there at dusk, which was the end of a long ridge that jutted out into the lake, I sent Daniel up to top of the ridge to listen for any deer while I quickly set up camp right there on the water's edge. I left my bow in the boat - big mistake!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Daniel made his way to top left side of ridge and I set up the tent. Then I hear a deer walking in the leaves and saw a big buck at top right edge of the ridge. To my amazement, he turned down and headed right for me, seemingly oblivious to the orange tent. He got closer and closer as I was frozen in place, expecting him to see me and spook. Finally he went behind a tree and I dashed to the boat and grabbed my bow, but he spooked and ran back up the ridge. Daniel had spooked a doe when he crested the ridge, and now he saw the buck approaching him in the fading light. Unfortunately it passed by just out of range. We soon prepared our Mountain House meals (melting our ice first) and hit the sack at 7 pm. It would be a long night, but we were excited to finally see a buck and he was cruising...

During the night, there were deer walking around camp at least five times, including a softly grunting buck. It also snowed and left a dusting everywhere! I woke up early and boiled some water for us, expecting a great morning hunt. Imagine my surprise as a boat came across the lake in the faint light and landed only 100 yards away. I quickly sent Daniel up the end of the ridge to "claim" that spot, but the other two guys were faster!!!!! They obviously knew about that spot and out manuvered us, and we were camped 100 yards away! This was the first case of somebody else hunting the area from a boat, and somehow through bad luck, they zeroed in right where we were hunting.

Our plan B was to walk around the entire ridge and scout it out, but the best sign was the end of the ridge where it jutted out into the lake...

We saw a few deer and turkeys, but nothing close. It was hard to figure out why the bucks were not active during the day. The previous night confirmed my suspicion that there were rutting at night - I guess they were laying up during the day. A friend hunting only 15 miles away on Sunday saw various bucks out cruising all day long on Sunday. We saw none of that, even where the does were.

We had to be on the road by noon for the long drive home, but we had gained some valuable information about this hunt area and plan to return in mid to late December, after Ohio's gun season. I look forward to that hunt. My boat, the Minnow, performed much better this time and I was careful to raise the outboard out of the water each night to prevent freezing. Nobody got hurt, we had fun, saw some animals and got to hunt together - a successful hunt! Plus we ate some Skyline chili which we both love upon arrival and departure - yum!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 7:05 pm 

I tip my hat to ya for braving those tough conditions. I hunted all weekend, and know it was cold here in Ohio. Congrats on making some fine memories with your son. Good luck on your return trip. I'm sure there will be some more memories made, and hopefully you will take some meat back with you.