Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Gene Wensel
PBS Member
Member # 67

posted August 07, 2009 11:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack or Brenda at PBS headquarters needs to compile a list of (ten?) current PBS members who have been in this organization the longest. It'd be nice to see before the next gathering. I think they deserve some sort of recognition. Jack Smith, Roger Rothhaar and Vern Struble have been around forever.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted August 08, 2009 12:25 AM
Gene,

I would be interested in knowing that myself--

I wonder how many 30 year + members are there-

--------------------
The unspoken word is capital. We can invest it or we can squander it.
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Terry Receveur

PBS Publicity Chairman
Member # 3

posted August 08, 2009 10:41 PM
I would like to meet many of them. I've read the history and I know many are still around and making tracks in the woods.

--------------------
"Dad when can we go bear hunting?" - My 15 year old daughter Jennifer!

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted August 09, 2009 04:26 AM
There must be a lot of 30 year veterans. I think I have about 17 years and I'm still a bit of a newby.

Biggie Hoffman

PBS Member
Member # 78

posted August 09, 2009 05:12 AM
I can think of 3 in Middle Georgia if they're all still active. Grady Brantly, Eddie Campbell and Guy Pointer.

--------------------
Life Member #25

"Eat, sleep, hunt........life is good!" Barry Wensel, 1988

Rick McGowan
PBS Member
Member # 56

posted August 09, 2009 08:03 AM
I can remember years going by and my only knowledge of PBS came from the little blurb in the middle of Bowhunter magazine. I never applied, because of the "Professional" and that it was only for those business related. I finally took a chance and sent it in, about 25 years ago. If I had known any members or if they had a bit more info in the ad, I would have joined years sooner.

Ted Kinney
PBS Member
Member # 34

posted August 09, 2009 08:38 AM
My dad is a 30+ year member. He has a great sense of the history of the PBS. Its cool to talk to him about old times. I think he joined around 75 or 77. Not the longest by any means, but he's been around awhile.

Barry Wensel
PBS Member
Member # 14

posted August 09, 2009 09:24 AM
Not positive, Jack would know, but I think I became a Regular member in '71. bw

--------------------
Barry Wensel

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted August 09, 2009 01:36 PM
Are any of the founding/charter members still around; Charles R. Crouch, A. Lee Maynard, Walter H. Riffee, Dayle W. Smith, Donald Smith, Marvin Almon, Ken Brashear, George Costa, Clifford Evans, Norm Fertig, Karl Goepfert, Bill Hinton, Don Lofgren, Tom Shupienis, Bob Swinehart, Edward Wheeler, or John Whitlow.

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted August 09, 2009 01:42 PM
Jerry Gentallalli (of ranchosafari/shaggy fame)was a member in the 70's according to one of the PBS history articles.

John Vargo
PBS Member
Member # 25

posted August 09, 2009 09:22 PM
I have been member since 1973. My hunting buddy and mentor, Joe Fehribach, from Kentucky is responsible for encouraging me to join. Joe was a buddy of Marvin Almon who was a founder. I think Joe joined about 1-2 years after PBS was founded. In addition to Joe, other top 10 members for longest tenure would include Roger Rothhaar and probably M. R. James.

Ted Kinney
PBS Member
Member # 34

posted August 09, 2009 09:43 PM
When did the two types of membership come in - I thought that was closer to the late 70's? I must be mistaken given Barry's post.

It would be cool to see a "year joined" column on a roster. It would be neat to see, I think.

Fred Richter
PBS Member
Member # 104

posted August 12, 2009 02:45 PM
It would interesting to see whose been around the longest. I've only been a member since 1982 (27 years) and know I'm a youngin compared to others. Rick, I wrote the "PBS NEWS" column in BOWHUNTER for about a nine year stretch starting back in the 80's. It was and still is a challenge explaining what "Professional" means in our name.

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted August 12, 2009 03:18 PM
Since we are giving props to those who got us interested in the PBS, I have to credit(or blame)Fred for getting me involved in PBS. I had just taken the IBEP course and got to know Fred through his association with the NBEF.

I went to my first banquet shortly after that, the one at Wheeling, and met quite a few other "well known" individuals to include, MR James, Dr. Dave, Paul Brunner, and all the others who were active back then.

As an additional bit of history, that weekend was also the catalyst for the shortlived Bowhunters of America, which was one of the early attempts at putting together a national level bowhunting organization.

Barney
PBS Member
Member # 13

posted August 12, 2009 10:59 PM
Howdy Fred, glad to see you made it here. Have you heard from Hank?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Fred Richter
PBS Member
Member # 104

posted August 13, 2009 09:56 AM
Good to hear from you Barney. Hope all's well in WY. I've seen Hank once in the last two months. He stopped by the coffee shop on his way to a bow shoot or something. I did hear (via a mutual friend) where he applied for SSI and they told him he was dead! Really! They showed in their records he was deceased and he has had to go through a ton of grief getting records to show he really is alive and is who he says he is. Unbelievable. Guess they didn't know who they were messing with! He was just a bit pi$$ed! How in the world can something like that happen? Makes you feel good about how the government runs stuff, huh?

Rick McGowan
PBS Member
Member # 56

posted August 13, 2009 10:17 AM
Fred, good to see you here. I understand about explaining the "Professional", I have tried to on those "other" sites as well. I even went as far as looking in up in my Websters to get the exact definition.
By the way in my PBS file, I still have the letter you sent me as president congratulating me on becoming a regular member in 1989.

Biggie Hoffman

PBS Member
Member # 78

posted August 13, 2009 02:24 PM
Cool Rick, I have the same letter signed by the same President. 'Ol Fred let a bunch of good guys sign up eh?

--------------------
Life Member #25

"Eat, sleep, hunt........life is good!" Barry Wensel, 1988

Rick McGowan
PBS Member
Member # 56

posted August 13, 2009 04:58 PM
Fred, how about that, you get the credit(or blame), for me and Biggie!

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted August 13, 2009 09:38 PM
I just spent one of the most enjoyable hours of my life on the phone with Roger Rothaar.. Talk about bowhunting history coming from a class act!

We started talking about his books then his farm in Iowa, his deer management, poachers, the Amana colony, both of his sons that bowhunt, Rogers doubling on deer four different times with one arrow, PBS history, how he got started, ect. ect.. Being able to hear this stuff first hand from the man who lived it. What a day for me..!

Roger told me he is the longest active member in PBS, he joined in 1965. Roger also told me that Marrion Jones is the second longest.

John III

[ August 14, 2009, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: John3 ]

--------------------
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Richter
PBS Member
Member # 104

posted August 14, 2009 08:06 AM
Rick / Biggie, I wish every member I sent an acceptance letter to back then were like you guys! PBS needs more. It was an honor. Fred

Ray Hammond

PBS Member
Member # 90

posted August 14, 2009 03:11 PM
Hey Fred...I think you signed mine too...and provided my Suburban Whitetail Group some really inexpensive insurance over the years as well, buddy.

I think I'm the new kid on the block at 22-23 years, something like that? The word "pro" hit me for years like Rick Mic...and I didn't pay much attention for a long time.

--------------------
There is opportunity in confusion, if you know the path - Socrates

onager
PBS Member
Member # 81

posted August 20, 2009 01:57 PM
This morning I checked in my collection of PBS mags. I have Vol 1 Issue 1 from 1977, and all issues since.
I have newsletter and note from PBS from December '76 when I apparently got my initial info from joining as an associate. I didn't become a "Reg" until mid '90s. Went to first Banquet in Ohio with Dean Bodoh and Rick Case, met our mutual friend Gun Lemke there. Lots of fun. John Scheels

--------------------
John Scheels

Goose
PBS Member
Member # 20

posted August 21, 2009 04:05 AM
This is a pretty good topic, and I've enjoyed reading the posts.
I'm probably not the newest guy here, and a long way from the oldest,.....Jim Emmerson sent me my letter approving my regular membership, but I don't remember the date. Still have the letter somewhere.
How long has Kelly Petterson(Spelling) been around here? And is Bill Carlos still a member?

Shick
PBS Member
Member # 136

posted September 11, 2009 12:02 PM
Hello PBS'rs; just got on board and going thru the 'threads'; Been a member since '76 and have a few old newsletters besides all of the mags. It's been a wonderful ride. The new forums are a wonderful addition to the site. Ted, your dad and I have been with PBS for about the same time...............Shick

Ted Kinney
PBS Member
Member # 34

posted September 17, 2009 01:56 PM
Dang, Dennis, you shouldn't admit being old as him. LOL.

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted January 20, 2011 11:33 AM
TTT for Larry. Hey, you've been here before!

Doug Clayton
PBS Member
Member # 309

posted January 21, 2011 12:03 PM
If memory serves me, and anymore sometimes it doesn't, I joined in '79, didn't become a Regular Member until early '90's, attended my first gathering in '92 (Lake of the Ozarks) and haven't missed once since.

Dave Watson

PBS Member
Member # 243

posted January 21, 2011 04:29 PM
I joined back in '73, well before we had "Associate Membership" - and there were a lot of guys well before me - and I knew Roger R. was the longest serving member...Geeze...threads like this really lets me know how old I am!!

--------------------
Hunt them close, hunt them fair

Gun
PBS Member
Member # 218

posted January 22, 2011 12:33 AM
I think I joined around 1973 as well. A guy named Richard Epley got me interested. If anyone knows him or his whereabouts I sure would like to get in touch with him.
Hi John. Thought we met at WBH convention. Anywsay long time. Might be coming down this summer. Have to get together again.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Kevin Bahr
Councilman-at-Large
Member # 4

posted January 22, 2011 08:23 AM
Gun, you should come to the PBS Odd Year Gathering at the Ojibwa club. I'm pretty sure John will be there since he has been involved with that project ever since I shot with him and Brian Tessmann there a few years ago. Great fun!

Ron Lang
PBS Member
Member # 52

posted January 22, 2011 02:42 PM
This is a great thread and has been fun reading. As a lot of you know history is going to be a theme at the 2011 Gathering in Portland and any information, photos,and whatever about the history of the PBS would be appreciated by the history committee. Send info to Larry Schwartz, Rob Burnam, Jim Akenson, or myself. A lot of the names here will be very useful. Remember everyday we all make history. Please share that PBS history with all of us. This is not just for the Gathering. We will be updating and making this info avaiable on this website as well. History makes us what we are so please be apart of that. Why try to explain who or what we are to someone when people can just look for themselves and hopefully want to be a part of the PBS as well.

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted January 22, 2011 03:08 PM
"History makes us what we are so please be apart of that. Why try to explain who or what we are to someone when people can just look for themselves and hopefully want to be a part of the PBS as well."

And what better place to have such info available than on the home page of our website, available for members AND prospective members who are trying to find out what all the fuss is about!

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted January 22, 2011 03:22 PM
Steve,

That is one of the things that the History Committee is working on, collecting that information, formatting it, and putting it on the website.

Larry

jerry wansack
PBS Member
Member # 1860

posted January 22, 2011 07:37 PM
My dear friend John Rook has been around quite a while and remembers the "Old Crowd". I'm sure he could supply us with names.

Gene Hall
PBS Member
Member # 828

posted January 22, 2011 09:15 PM
I've got a letter from Fred, too, welcoming me to the ranks of PBS. Gene Wensel is the one who first poisoned me, though. Thanks, guys, it's an ongoing hoot.

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted January 22, 2011 10:03 PM
Excellent Larry! How's the progress?

Gun
PBS Member
Member # 218

posted January 23, 2011 02:32 AM
Depends Kevin. I missed the last one by a weekend. My niece got engaged over Xmas so may be there for a wedding but no date yet.

Guys a while back I had sent Jack all my old newsletters from when they were just a few pages. It took a few months to get them back. He must have a lot of info somewhere. I believe there was a request in the magazine for that kind of stuff but don't remember when it was.

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted January 23, 2011 04:25 PM
Steve,

Our first goal was to get a copy of every PBS newsletter/magazine since 1963 and we have done that. Some of our plans are to bring the timeline that is currently on the About PBS page up to date from 1977 to 2011. That timeline will be the launch point for other content that we are/will be developing on key events in PBS history. We are also working on a multimedia presentation for one of the banquet dinners in Portland. I don't want to hijack this thread so I won't go into more detail, but I am working on an article will.

Larry

Ron Lang
PBS Member
Member # 52

posted January 24, 2011 09:06 PM
Steve that is one of our goals to get this stuff on the website. We are working on it. Larry covered some of it well.

John Stockman
PBS Member
Member # 3598

posted February 17, 2011 06:54 AM
I've been a memeber since 1972. It has been interesting (and rewarding) to see PBS evolve.

Kevin Bahr
Councilman-at-Large
Member # 4

posted February 17, 2011 07:35 AM
Welcome to the website, John.

Joebuck
PBS Member
Member # 94

posted February 17, 2011 09:22 AM
"o& io i9. J .klick. ..9!,!99$99,$.9,,..jccccfjcccvv.9

bowhunter

PBS Member
Member # 164

posted February 17, 2011 09:22 AM
This is cool. I remember reading about PBS members in Bowhunter Magazine. Maybe MR James has some stuff that never made it to print? This will be a major highlight in Portland.

--------------------
Dan

bowhunter

PBS Member
Member # 164

posted February 17, 2011 09:24 AM
Hey John!!!! I will track you down at the PBS OYG in March.

--------------------
Dan

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Terry Receveur

PBS Publicity Chairman
Member # 3

posted February 17, 2011 12:51 PM
Ok Joebuck, you're gonna have to pass along your secret decoding ring for us!

--------------------
"Dad when can we go bear hunting?" - My 15 year old daughter Jennifer!

John Stockman
PBS Member
Member # 3598

posted February 18, 2011 09:00 AM
Dan:

I'll be there with my salty (retired Seal) friend Dave Watson. You two should have some common Navy experiences.

Is that a Maryland buck? Nice!

John

Buck Rodgers
PBS Member
Member # 155

posted February 25, 2011 09:51 PM
Wow I was born in 1963 and this thread is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
PBS campfires best place until we get to Heaven!!!!!!!!!!

Jim A
PBS Member
Member # 23

posted February 25, 2011 11:39 PM
When I first got into building on the "Historical recording" done by Gene W. and then by John V. I was conact by Dr. Nick Gray from Shell Knob MO. If I recall correctly, he was a member since the mid-60's and newsletter editor in the late 60's. Larry, we need to contact him for one of the history interviews...he had offered to review anything from the 60's.

--------------------
Jim A.

Jim A
PBS Member
Member # 23

posted February 25, 2011 11:50 PM
Vern Struble became a member in 1970...brought in to the ranks by Galen Jordan, who was an original PBS member from Oregon...1963. Jordan knew (maybe hunted with?) Chet Stevenson and Bill Sweetland. Dave Doran has all the Oregon Archery History displayed in a portable museum which he will bring to Portland in 2012.

--------------------
Jim A.