Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 4:30 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Congrats,Kevin and thanks for posting.
You have a great spot there enjoy it!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 8:27 am 

All's quiet around here now. The rut is in full max intensity and there are plenty of chases going on. The biggest bucks invariably are locked in on a doe. Single animals...when seen...are typically younger bucks or orphaned fawns. Bryan has been sitting on my primary "3-and-Out" stand, hoping to add to the count there. This morning the weather is cold and gray with a northwest breeze of 37F.

Interesting note from a couple days ago: A client of mine complimented my recent deer luck and asked me where I was hunting. I told him I was only hunting my farm right now, and he quickly offered me (and Bryan) 250 acres of woodlands to have as an exclusive (don't really like that word) place to bowhunt. The property is about 35+ minutes away, so definitely within good distance. We know it has at least one main logging road through it, but is otherwise an uninterrupted 250 acre block of deer habitat. Very promising...and pretty hard to find. These days you don't run into many opportunities like that...at least around here.

Buck image taken from recent video:

Attachment:
700.JPG.jpg
700.JPG.jpg [ 172.63 KiB | Viewed 4153 times ]

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 10:31 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
That is an amazing opportunity Kevin. Permission granted by a handshake is unheard of anymore in my neck of the woods, especially with large tracts like that. I'm sure that you and Bryan can have some adventures there, although from what I've seen nothing can top the experiences you guys have in Alaska. Great stuff.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 10:47 am 

I need to move there.wine for bucks!

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 11:23 am 

For a guy who doesn't get too excited about whitetails you sure know how to nock them down! Like Bryan said, the most efficient bowhunter around. Congratulations Kevin.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 6:27 am 

I remember my cousin getting a job managing a steak house 30 years ago. He lost all interest in steak (to eat) after a few months. Maybe it's that way for me with all the deer around here. I could (and have) punch every tag every year and never wander more than a quarter mile or so. The abundance of deer along with plenty of big bucks (that's southern Ohio in general) so close makes them akin to steak on the menu for my cousin. Just another routine day of seeing deer. I didn't deer hunt a single day in 2013 and very little in 2012 or 2011. I simply had no interest in deer.

Taking three of them in two days was pretty neat I admit. I have to thank them for cooperating and providing me with plenty of nutritious meat. My freezer looks pretty good right now. This is nothing in comparison to a friend (and PBSer) who has killed 5 midwestern whitetails so far and has processed the meat from all of them.

Anyway: Bryan hunted here on the farm most of the mornings x 7 days. A lot of deer activity noted and many shots passed as well. The big guys were seen but not in a position to be killed. I watched and videoed a big 8 which has a right shoulder-area injury. I suspect he's been bow-shot, but could have been injured in a fight. The wound is forward and high near the shoulder/neck/brisket juncture. This buck limps badly but was keeping a doe pinned down and other bucks away from her. The rut is a powerful thing and sometimes I think a one-legged buck would figure out how to get the job accomplished.

This morning it is pouring rain and 38F. The forecast is for falling temps, snow, wind and single-digit lows on the way. I'm glad I have no tags open.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 8:28 am 

12 days since my last post. The primary rut is basically over now, and sightings of mature bucks are next to zero. I'm seeing family units which have re-grouped after the doe was bred, and there are of course a number of young bucks still wandering about.

We had an enormous wind event here last Monday and it put us out of power for 24 hours. It also drove the deer underground/into heavy cover and hollows. We were on generator for that 24 hour period. I had gone out at 4:30 am just to check on the generator, and suddenly a group of coyotes began a wild bark-howl-squeal right behind the house. It was obviously still dark, but this gang of yotes was close...I'm talking like 'stickbow shot off the back deck' close. I think it might be time to wake up the sleeping trapper inside...time for a coyote hat or vest maybe.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 9:41 am 

A coyote hat has lots of built in cool points!

PostPosted: December 11th, 2014, 7:17 pm 

A week ago I spotted a coyote right outside my lawn area, and he was (as they always are) hunting for anything he might catch. I deliberated on turning out my 2 drahthaars to chase him, but decided to make the lesson a bit more permanent. With my wife playing spotter I hammered him. This was no hunting situation at all and felt more like defending our immediate home area from the little wolves. One less, but we still are seeing them with frequency.

Today. South of my farm there is a roughly 90 acre clearcut which is now a nine year old second growth thicket. You know what that means...it's the biggest deer magnet and safety zone in a 5 mile radius. I look at it every time I walk past my back windows, as it borders my hayfield and pastures. So today I walked in there and flag-taped some access trails. I scouted it some and saw what I expected. The entire property is a massive thick tangle of saplings, blackberry, honeysuckle, greenbriar, and scrub pines. There are a few large trees within and on the edges. Everywhere I went I noted muddy tracks and trails. I must have seen at least 25 fresh rubs which were bigger than 3". Scrapes under just about every likely hanging branch. The place is simply a deer pen.

After flagging a lot of trails, I sent a 3-man crew in there with power equipment to clear them. When they rolled out several hours later they had things roughly cut and cleared. I'm guessing they worked nearly a half-mile of trails today in some of the roughest cover I've ever seen. Access now exists to the interior areas and several really nice stand trees have been identified for future stand placement.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2014, 7:38 pm 

Kevin
Earlier you posted about a deer with a neck wound .
A friend of mine shot a real nice buck down in what we call the mtns. here in Pa.
Showed me some pictures,then his key chain a 2-1/2 inch antler tip the taxidermist took out of the deers neck,all healed over. Ouch that must have hurt.
Sounds like you have some honey holes,nice to hear the stories.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2014, 8:24 am 

Wow, kind of hair raising that the coyotes have gotten so used to being close to your house. I have seen more coyotes this year than ever before. It is strange because there is a guy in my neighborhood that hunts them with dogs and typically gets around 30-40 a year.

I'm jealous of the clear cut that sounds great. Open woods with big trees are picturesque and easy to walk through, but working hard in the thick stuff can yield close shots and good results. Clear cut is a dirty word in my area. My dad says there used to be grouse around when he was younger, but when guys stopped clear cutting and letting the woods grow back over they disappeared. He always asks me if I see grouse when I am out hunting but I never have. I think he misses the "good old days." Keep us posted on how the new stand sites turn out!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2014, 9:38 am 

Kevin let me know when you need some help thinning your herd of deer. If I see 1-3 in a day of hunting here at the house, i've had a great day.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2014, 5:47 pm 

Some great deer hunting on your farm. Congratulations and enjoy some fine venison.
John

PostPosted: December 13th, 2014, 8:39 am 

Rob Burnham wrote:
Kevin let me know when you need some help thinning your herd of deer. If I see 1-3 in a day of hunting here at the house, i've had a great day.

Copy that Rob. Bryan just popped in last evening for a weekend of hunting. At 7:45 this morning my wife calmly said "deer movement...back field". I counted 8 skinnies crossing the hayfield and could not see a hint of antler anywhere. Brood stock for the future.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 5:56 pm 

Posted this about 6 pm local time. Twenty minutes ago I shot some video of two bucks feeding in my front lawn. This is the bigger one...a 12 point. Nice to see a survivor of gun season.

Attachment:
270.JPG
270.JPG [ 114.62 KiB | Viewed 3756 times ]

Attachment:
271.JPG
271.JPG [ 162.59 KiB | Viewed 3756 times ]

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 12:17 am 

Oh Wow!
Kevin how do you ever get anything done around your place?
I would be forever looking and glassing .

PostPosted: March 19th, 2015, 6:53 am 

After a particularly brutal February of constant snow and deep cold, March is looking good. I've seen a number of bucks which made it past the hazards of the rut and hunting seasons. Most of them have now shed their antlers and I've been searching for those of the big 12 point I named 'Bruce'. Nothing big so far, but then yesterday while basically thrashing my way through a nasty jungle of blackberry, greenbriar, grapevine and second-growth...my eye spotted an antler through the cover. I fought my way over to it and found the remains of a superb 8 pt sporting a forked brow tine. All his bones were right there, but I could tell he'd died a long while back.

I was momentarily sad to think of this fine buck's last bedding...and how well he had hidden from discovery. Only the naked cover and his whitened rack made finding him possible. I actually considered leaving everything alone (I'm funny like that) but then gave in to my horn-loving side and picked up the skull.

In this image I'm holding the skull directly against my chest.

Good one. I'm sure the foxes and coyotes put his body to good use...no waste in these woods.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2015, 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Nice buck, hopefully he spread his genes. Have you ever seen him before, he is fairly distinctive?

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: March 19th, 2015, 3:47 pm 

Iffin the bucks grow that big,the mice that chew on the racks must have some good genes.LOL
You always wonder what brought on the death of a buck like that ,old age,run in with a vehicle,or wounded from the hunt season????

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 6:00 am 

Considering he died 1/4 mile from my door I'd say I've seen him previously. I might have him on video as a younger buck, but not sure. The cover and terrain here makes it possible for a buck to escape notice. Even though bucks like that are near my place, I simply haven't paid them much attention in recent years. We see them out our windows and sometimes don't pick up the binoculars. The following 2 images might be this buck...just not positive.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 7:38 am 

It is a shame that buck didn't survive the winter, but good fortune that you found it without damage from the rodents. I hope you can find the sheds from the 12 point I would like to see pictures of that!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 3:28 pm 

Great find Kevin, an admirable trophy no matter how you find him.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 2:33 pm 

Kevin you have some nice bucks out your way. Great find in that 8pt, you did a lot better than my wife and I yesterday.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 6:38 am 

I guess you can't find them (usually) if you don't log the miles required. We've definitely got some fine deer around here but finding them or their shed antlers is another thing.

Yesterday we took a walk and went into an area I wanted to check more carefully. We hit a known bedding zone and began walking the tangle of briars and honeysuckle. In a couple minutes I looked to my right....

Not bad. We both got pumped and really started beating through the cover knowing there would be more. Nope. 2-1/2 hours of walking steep hills and heavy brush yielded this one antler, but at least it's a good one. For perspective, a couple of 16 oz 'custom' lemonades which made all the briar cuts go away.