It is currently June 26th, 2017, 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 8:30 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Sunday morning 10-19 I spotted these two bucks along one of my fences. The smaller of them is an 8-pt with very good brow tines. The larger buck is a basic 10 with a 3" kicker point on his left G2 and a very high rack. He also has the start of a G2 kicker on the right, but it's just a nub. Each buck stayed on 'his' side of the fence, but they put on a great display of threats, posturing, scraping, thrashing brush and intimidating. The 8 did not appear amused, but he sure didn't back down either. He laid his ears back and basically strutted in front of the 10. I shot in excess of 15 minutes of good video, and will try to post some later. In the meantime, here are a couple pics taken from the video.

Attachment:
2buck.JPG
2buck.JPG [ 156.35 KiB | Viewed 5149 times ]

Attachment:
2buck2.JPG
2buck2.JPG [ 300.94 KiB | Viewed 5149 times ]

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 8:39 am 

The colder and wetter weather seems to have the deer moving throughout the day here. This morning I noticed 5 deer bounding out into my hayfield with tails up and flared in mild alarm. They kept looking back to check on something, and I figured it to be either a buck or maybe a dog. It turned out to be 2 dogs...

Attachment:
yotes.JPG
yotes.JPG [ 199.57 KiB | Viewed 5145 times ]

I shot some video and watched them watch the deer watch them. In all my years of seeing deer and coyotes here, I have never yet seen a coyote (or group of them) go after a mature deer. They look at each other, but invariably all go their separate ways.

Last edited by Kevin Dill on October 22nd, 2014, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 10:12 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Very cool pictures.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 11:01 am 

https://vimeo.com/109599396

https://vimeo.com/109600467

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Nice bucks! I am headed up to Ohio next week while several PBSers from NH are headed over to that great state, for bucks just like those! Maybe a few turkeys too.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 8:26 pm 

That's cool. Good luck with them Kevin.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 6:35 am 

Ok Kevin I am first in line for the membership hunt on the Dill farm. Seriously , those are nice bucks and getting to watch that stand off is a true treasure.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 11:05 am 

Good luck on those bucks Kevin! They are real beauties!
Harry

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 8:55 pm 

Cool Videos Kevin. Good luck!

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 9:52 am 

I'm guessing a flat shooting .243 wasn't next to the window or I'd be seeing a picture of you with a couple dead 'yotes! They may not go after big health mature deer, but the fawns take a beating. They have hammered our deer herd in Central Indiana. Gun, bow, grenade, whatever it takes. I'm for reducing the population.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 3:01 pm 

Actually Terry, I see coyotes all the time and hear them frequently. They were squealing in the night about 1 am this morning. Despite their constant presence I definitely have a super-abundance of deer right here. I've had guys get a bit terse with me when I tell them I'd prefer to watch them from my window vs take a shot at them. I've watched numerous deer-yote encounters and I personally have yet to see a coyote (or number of them) pursue a healthy adult deer here. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen it in my 30+ years of living around them. Anyway...I would kill a coyote with my bow in a true hunting situation. I can't look at them as needing reduced here, as the deer herd is too healthy. I imagine I could've killed a couple dozen with a rifle the past 3-5 years but haven't taken a shot at one.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 6:00 pm 

You are fortunate they haven't impacted your herd. I can't imagine why someone would be angry with you for not shooting them on your property. I do like to hear them yipping on a calm night. I've also never seen then kill or harass adult deer. It's not the adults I worry about.

I can't wait to hear the stories and see the photos of your hunts on your place this year. Good luck and be safe.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2014, 5:17 am 

When does your season open? If you get both you will still have less than the"sledge hammer" !

PostPosted: October 24th, 2014, 6:02 am 

Tom...

Our season kicked in at end of September, right after the moose hunt. Being in business and dealing with a busy time of year (October) really distracts me from hunting deer. I haven't really pushed the issue, but these bucks are probably safe from me. I'd like to see the kicker-10 up close and evaluate him better, but these aren't anywhere close to the top end of our local bucks. Ask Bryan...he knows.

Poor old Sledgehammer....I would have welcomed him to Ohio with open arms and aching muscles.... :D

PostPosted: October 28th, 2014, 2:53 pm 

This morning I was discussing a work assignment with my crew leader, Dusty. We were standing outside near the end of a long barn talking about the job and paying no attention to our surroundings. With no warning a big coyote bolted right by us, so close I could've spit on it. A few minutes later we watched 3 more coyotes move through the area out in a pasture. I've seen as many as 7 in one group here, but that was quite a while ago. These 4 (at least) were acting pretty bravely to come right into the area of our home and business. I might have to rethink whether the population needs some management!

PostPosted: October 28th, 2014, 7:53 pm 

Don't want to hi-jack your thread Kevin but this is interesting timing. I recently watched a documentary on netflix. (Coywolf I believe) It was about a wilderness area in Nova Scotia, Algoinkin (sp?) park. Apparently scientist have been studying the eastern wolf population there and the wolves have been breeding and raising pups that are half coyote and half eastern wolf. Now, this "eastern wolf" they are referring to is a lot smaller than their western cousins. Their off spring have much blockier heads and larger teeth. They are also supposed to be much more bold than typical coyotes.

This is only known to happen in this particular park in Canada. But very interesting none the less.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 3:35 pm 

Fun video Kev... Thanks for sharing with us.

Nice looking woods!!!!!

PostPosted: November 1st, 2014, 5:32 am 

Yesterday (Friday) was a chilly wet day with 100% cloud cover. The temps never got out of the 40s here. Bryan headed to his lease before daylight, and I got my workday started. When daylight broke I began seeing deer everywhere out behind my home. Bucks, does and fawns were constantly on the move. A very nice 8 pt followed a fence-line and checking scrapes. Two other bucks were chasing does nonstop in a small woods a couple hundred yards from my garage doors. One of these was a good 10 pt, but not a shooter. I wanted to hunt....

I finally evaded the deer and made it into my tree at 9:15. Later, I grunted that 10 pt in and passed on him. Going in late meant I missed a majority of deer movement, but at least I didn't spook any deer. I left the tree at 11:45.

Thursday evening I had a great 10 pt rubbing and rattling a stand of saplings 40 yards from me. I was ground hunting in my shaggie jacket which is perfect for this. I grunted that buck in to 25 yards and would have gladly shot him if I could have picked a spot. He stood sky-lighted on a knoll broadside to me, but I could not pick any spot in the fading dusk. I would have been shooting at his full profile and there was zero chance of me doing that. He walked away quietly and I slipped out ten minutes later. This all happened 150 yards from my porch.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2014, 9:50 pm 

Good times Kevin!! And bravo for making the right call on not shooting, many guys would have risked that one.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 11:12 am 

Sunday....a very good morning.

Attachment:
bucketlist.JPG
bucketlist.JPG [ 518.27 KiB | Viewed 4571 times ]

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 1:11 pm 

Getting him out in style! What breed of tractor is it?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 1:27 pm 

Based on the explanations of the deer you passed on, I am looking forward to seeing the rack on this deer!!

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 2:26 pm 

which cabelas carry that deer cart????????????? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 4:13 pm 

What a morning...

We awoke to 29F and fairly calm winds....cloudless sky. The deer didn't disappoint, and I could clearly hear bucks chasing does in the distance on my walk in. Some time after good daylight I heard a soft oinking grunt a couple hundred yards away. The 10x glass revealed a bruiser working a limb at 200 yards distant. I gave him a series of grunts and after a minute or two of studying where they came from, he abruptly turned my way and began a head-up walk right at me. Of course big deer seldom come right in on a wire, and he proved to be no different in that regard. He angled in to my right and then we began 'the dance'...I would urp lightly and he would move closer trying to find the source. I could make out no less than 12 good solid points and 18-20 inches of width with mature mass. He could not see me and I waited for him to close the last 40 yards. One of us was about to get foxed...that was for sure.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 4:53 pm 

No matter what I did, this old buck was determined to circle and get the wind in his face. I could see that developing and felt sure he would pick me off. After pacing back and forth along the fence to my right, I heard the thump of his hooves as he jumped the woven wire and entered the brush. I spotted him coming; cutting diagonally through the trees and deliberately putting himself straight downwind of where he'd heard the grunts. The wind was northwesterly and breezing at 5-7 mph....quite cold, too. I knew it was over before he ever reacted. His steps became halting and then started the stalking behavior. He angled away, but looked back over his rump straight in my direction. I felt like giving him a salute, and a minute later he began blowing as he moved away.

I've been beaten by big bucks so many times it's ridiculous, and I seldom get bothered much by it. I'll see him again another day I'm sure. I was thinking that a few minutes after he disappeared. That's when I thought I heard footsteps coming from where I'd last watched him. Something was on the way.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 5:47 pm 

A nice coyote came trotting from the direction the buck disappeared. I don't normally worry with shooting them, but something triggered inside my head on this one. We've been seeing LOTS of 'yotes and having them in your yard is a little much. No mercy this time. I got the bow in hand and managed to hammer him as he walked by. Hit through mid-body, he spun and snarled loudly...biting at the arrow. I immediately hammered him again at 18 yards, whereupon he ran away to die. Funny thing...I don't really like to shoot things I don't eat or use, but this one didn't bother me. It all happened so fast I was rather surprised by the outcome.

Next up were 5 deer...all antlerless that came in from my left. I passed the shots, though one or two looked really...what does Gene Wensel say?....juicy. I wanted to, but didn't. They moved off and in ten minutes a big deer shocked me by slipping in and jumping the fence no more than 15 yards away. In this case, the jump landed the deer on my side of the fence and walking right under me. Grab the bow again...this one's a shooter. I had little time to react but this really fantastic doe put herself at 10 yards broadside and started sniffing the ground. The arrow was on the mark and punched all the way into the dirt after passing through her ribs. She bounded out to 70 yards and stopped...stumbled...hesitated and suddenly dropped stone dead. I shot through the top of her heart and she never acted anything more than mildly puzzled about the event. Good girl, and I gave thanks for her life.

Attachment:
315.JPG
315.JPG [ 439.49 KiB | Viewed 4537 times ]

After checking on her I simply walked home and came back with the Kubota tractor and loaded her in the bucket. She was a really nice doe with a thick, fat body...just as good as they ever get. Bryan shot some pictures and she is now in the cooler.

Attachment:
317.JPG
317.JPG [ 465.1 KiB | Viewed 4537 times ]

Last edited by Kevin Dill on November 4th, 2014, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 9:16 pm 

Nice job Kevin. She'll be good eating.
Looking forward to the report on the next encounter with that buck!

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 9:42 pm 

Excellent!! She's a really big doe, and beautiful to boot! Congrats buddy.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2014, 8:12 am 

It looks like November has been good to you so far, Kevin. Congrats on the nice doe.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2014, 9:34 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
Kevin, nice job on a good sized doe! I need a picture of the yote...

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind