It is currently August 21st, 2017, 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Iowa Deer Season
PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 6:29 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Guys,
Thanks for your kind words and the welcome. I'd been stuck in the house with a bad sinus infection and I had way too much time on my hands so I figured I'd study the PBS site and Really enjoy the way things are organized. I feel like I'm in good company. I don't want to distract from the Iowa deer season topic but I wanted to let Terry know that Alicia Pretty-much went after the Navy scholarship on her own. I just offer support. Terry it looks like you've got goal driven sons. Great Americans on the way up. I'm sure Alicia would offer any advice you would want on the matter. She's visited and spoken to groups upon the request of her undergrad college. I will FWD your contact info to her. By the way, a moose like that will only be in my dreams.

Hopefully some more of you guys will bring in some late season posts on the best whitetails in the country.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 10:40 pm 

See that? We got a couple great new members and maybe a couple new dentists out of the deal. Good job everyone! Thanks. bw

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 5:43 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
You Iowa guys are the standard bearer of bowhunting big Midwestern whitetails. I've never actually been anywhere in Iowa, but some day I'm simply going to go visit your state. I need a good corndog anyway.

Welcome aboard Duane, and continued congrats to the Iowa PBS contingent.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 12:49 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Plenty of activity in the woods this morning. East wind and a hint of snow made conditions perfect. I had deer around my stand or in sight from very first light until I got down at 10:30. Some fast pace chasing by a couple of 2 1/2 year old 8 points and a couple of fork horns. Saw one good buck, a really heavy 9 point with decent spread. He was uninterested in the dozens of does and fawns in the vicinity, but did kind of wander off behind a big doe. He got no closer than 40 yards and that is twice too far for me.
Some one give me a tip on how to get out of your stand in the morning when there are a dozen deer bedded with in 60 yards of the stand.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 5:40 pm 

If Gene's out now he's got a pretty good snow coming down. I've got one LOT Doe tag left and I'm saving it for late season longbow hunt. Sure is tempting though.

As far as getting rid of deer with "bad sense of timing", I tried a dying rabbit scream once at dark by kissing the palm of my hand. I get pretty good volume with that and have three bowshot coyotes to show for it, but that night taught me something. I had an Owl in my face backpedaling and hitting me with his wings. I never tried that again after dark.

One time I used a primos hiper lip single cow call to howl like a coyote to get rid of some spike bulls that were going to ruin my chances on getting in on a herd of elk. I suppose that a coyote howler might work.

Alicia blew into her buck grunt tube so loud that it sounded like a enraged hen mallard duck. that moved some deer off. She told me that she needed to get down that evening and the deer wouldn't leave.

Gene I think this advice might have to come from Barry......Sometimes he evens the odds by not wearing enough clothes while hunting.........He probably has figured out how to get rid of deer and get down without ruining his stand site.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm 

One way is to have a buddy or your wife drive close enough with the truck to scare them all off at dusk if the situation is easy to do that. They think it is a farm vehicle. It won't spook them nearly as much as climbing down among them. If that isn't applicable, try barking like a hound dog. You might also try yelling John Vargo's name real loud. That works for me :lol:

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 9:53 am 

I know of no deer that fears J. Vargo.

Last edited by Gene Hall on November 27th, 2014, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 10:01 am 
Gene Hall wrote:
I know of no deer that is afraid of Vargo.

Ouch!! I thought you'd be nicer to a fellow (though transplanted) Iowegian.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 10:28 pm 

Great night tonight in Iowa. My son, John, who many of you met in Cincinnati took his buck with a perfect shot from his Robertson recurve, Zwicky Black Diamond Delta on grizzly sticks. This was especially cool because John only had two days to hunt. Same night, Dave Cavanaugh, our neighbor, and also an associate PBS er took this huge doe. Great blood trails, great stuff. Stories to follow.

Attachments:
DSCN0862.JPG
DSCN0862.JPG [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 3544 times ]
DSCN0862.JPG
DSCN0862.JPG [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 3544 times ]
DSCN0869.JPG
DSCN0869.JPG [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 3544 times ]

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 8:28 am 

That is fantastic! I am sitting on a deer stand right now but this is not Iowa :(

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 10:46 am 

Awesome!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 4:02 pm 

Congrats to John and Dave from "up north"........(20 miles)......

Two more fine Iowa corn fed Whitetails!

Timing was good for John. That cold wind took us from 44 to single digits over night. Would have been a cold hunt today...

My wife asks, "you gonna try to fill that LOT doe tag this morning?" I just dug deeper into the covers.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 5:30 pm 

Rut is over in southeast Iowa. Hunted Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning. The corn on my property was picked about one week ago. Ton of deer coming out to feed in the fields. Saw close to 30 deer Saturday evening. Passed on several easy shots at big does because there were three different shooter bucks in the immediate area. Passed a 130-135" 8 point this morning at 12 yards. Nice deer...but with one buck already down I only plan to shoot a really big whopper or a senile buck...besides I was by myself and wasn't that keen on dragging a big buck very far.

With regards to Uncle Gene's suggestions for getting down when deer are near...I was wondering why he was screaming my name a few weeks back. And here I thought he was just scared of the dark...

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 8:09 pm 

Not much to see on the last weekend. Was out about 10 plus hours only saw a doe and fawn. Not even much sign in my timbers.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 12:39 am 

This is usually one of my favorite weekends to hunt as bucks usually hoping to pick up an unbred doe. Only hunted sat and sun eves. sat was warm, 50 degrees. i was on a stand named anticipation.on the edge of a big thicket with the neighbors standing corn 75yrd behind me. Hunter my son checked a cam 2-300 yrd south and spooked a big frame buck off the picked corn at 1230pm. I was hoping to at least see it. I bumped a couple bald deer on the way in. Didn't see much, maybe due to the warm temps. An hour before dark spotted a deer 90yrd south behind a cedar. Finally browsing his way out I was able to tell it was a good buck, 145", 150 if he had his other g4. I watched him feed for 10 minutes before he headed towards our other stand. That was it for me. Hunter had a good night. Doe hunting and he had a mature 4x4 limping, puttig no weight at all on his left front at 10 yards. All he could do was watch. Hate to see them suffer. He was also hoping to get our first sighting of "the mulie buck". He,s a 4x4 plus forks on both g2 with stickers. Sweet deer. With no buck tag left of course it ends up under him at 12 yards before walking off. Sunday am is colder with a front coming in and NW wind. We spend it checking all the trail cams and fixing fence. Due to the wind shift Hunter decides to hunt the 160 stand and hopes he can see and film the mulie buck there . Its a long shot but he thinks our fixing fence upwind of his bedding area will make him feed 1/3 mile south. He was right. He wheezes him in to 25 yards on film. Also sees acouple 2.5 and one 3.5 busted up buck. I'm on west gate stand and when 40 yards from stand 2 spikes push a doe by me. I make it into the cedar tree ladder and 5 minutes later 7doe are coming my way. With my injured eye getting worse I have set my max to 10 yard shot. Before they get broadside 2 1.5 and 2 2.5 bucks pop out and push the does back. All afternoo I have does and bucks around but no does closer than 15-17 yard and with my blurry eye 10 yards is all I want to shoot. Then out of my good eyes peripheral vision I see a deer coming, its 10 but a buck, a good buck. Big 5x4 145-150, dark rack with browtines that curve out towards his mainbeams. Big bodied dark coated buck. I let him go for two reasons, I've shot a nice buck already, and my daughter told me he's hers. So I enjoy watching him bump some does around and other bucks sparring. A great couple nights. Gun season the next 3 weeks so I won't be hunting myself, but will guide the wife. Eye doc on Tue hopefully has a procedure to fix the eye or likely will not be able to shoot well enough to hunt remainder late season. Lucky the eye got me this far.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 3:09 pm 

As far as bumping deer off when leaving, I've done the dog bark and cow moo which sometimes works but usually the deer stand there awhile I'm sure wondering who is the idiot barking or mooing. This season I picked up a coyote yelper, easy to use, and it does push the deer off. Flex tone I believe. I try to not use it if they are really close so they can't pin down the tree or stand. First use this year was seven deer on clover at 3pm. I was too lazy to go back to the truck and drive in to nudge off so I yelped and they ran off. 20 min later doe and yrlg came in and she's in the freezer. Unsure if it will shy deer from a stand on a plot with use. So far seems to work well.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 9:47 pm 

Two days left before the gang bangers start. I'll be going hard after one of three good bucks that have showed up in the last week or so. They probably have moved in from the outlying fields as food diminishes and willing does become more scarce.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 6:33 am 

Gene Hall...

You should know that "willing doe" is a true oxymoron. Carry on...

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 7:32 pm 

I told you about "Smalls" and how he was killing me. I am pretty sure this is him and that is my tree stand. He is walking only 12 to 15 yards away. The time is should read 1335 hrs. So say hello.

Attachments:
PICT0037.jpg
PICT0037.jpg [ 707.97 KiB | Viewed 3345 times ]

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 8:02 pm 

Spent 5 hours on stand today. Saw plenty of deer, but none of the three big guns. The deer are starting to yard up like it was the late season. I probably saw north of 35 head. It's going to be a chore keeping the bangers out of my woods for the next two weeks, but you can bet I'll be patrolling. I will spend a big chunk of the day hunting the final day of the bow season tomorrow.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 10:57 pm 

I hung a new stand yesterday in a spot where deer are coming through a cedar thicket to feed in standing beans across the field. Slight breeze out of the NE. It was drizzling so I left my camcorder and hear aids at home. Got on stand before 2pm. The first deer I saw was a pretty nice 4x4 following a doe. Not tending her but following with his nose to the ground out in the beans. Saw three lesser bucks and a couple does and yearlings in and out of the edge. One buck was a 3 1/2 year old I passed in early October. He has a NT left antler. Curious about what he will look like in a couple years if he makes it. Iowa gun season opens in the morning. I started hearing single shots in the distance an hour before dark :( About 4:30 a really big doe came up from behind me over my left shoulder. She started through a shooting lane at about 18 yards. I was drawing on her when she took a left. My shot was quartering away further than I wanted but I buried it to the feathers just in front of her hind quarter angling forward into the goodies. Got lungs. She went less than 100 yards. Big mature doe with lots of fat inside her. Should be a good eater.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2014, 8:38 am 

I heard the gun fire last evening, too. Seems some are getting a jump on the bang season. What's wrong with these guys? Had a mature doe broadside at 18 yards last night 5 or 6 minutes before the end of legal shooting time. It was still too dark for me. I must be getting old. It was a gray foggy night and visibility was poor. I let her pass. Maybe she will take pity on me in the late season.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 7:33 pm 

Finally, and thank goodness, Iowa's shotgun deer season is over. i watch these guys every year and wonder why this type of hunting is not outlawed. I have been hunting since BB gun days 57 years ago. That said, if shotgun hunting the way it is in Iowa with huge drives and party hunting blasting away at whatever is brown, I would be an anti hunter. It is difficult to articulate how much I hate this crap. It is a disservice to the name of real hunters, and a disgrace to the whitetail. I spent the last two weeks paying someone to keep trespassers off my property when i couldn't be there. I am getting quite the reputation for being an ass about this and still, every year, I confront criminals, call game wardens and sheriffs. I have to have my Glock strapped to my side to feel even a little safe. Yesterday was the worst. 4 guys obviously trying to trespass and they were threatening, until I showed them I was armed. Generally, once a day we have a confrontation. What is wrong with these people?

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 8:33 pm 

What a Shame gene especially over a deer but some people just don't get it and I have the same issues here in PA makes me disgusted!

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 8:54 pm 

You aren't kidding. "Gangs" with TWO extended mag slug guns each. It is depressing. Glad you are able to patrol and prosecute.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 8:17 am 

It's a problem because enforcement is poor and inconsistent. I have talked to county wildlife officers down there in IA who complain of making arrests only to have DA's give the perpetrators a slap on the wrist. You need laws with more teeth in them.

Compare that with Colorado where a trespass offense can cost you twenty suspension points and loss of hunting priveledges for 5 years. (Citation = CRS-33-6-116) not saying it's always applied, but it needs to be there in the first place to be a deterrance.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 9:32 am 

Why people continue to support party hunting is beyond me. A great way for people who only have doe tags to shoot bucks and then have someone else in their "party" put their buck tag on the deer. A major outfitter in southeastern Iowa got busted for this very thing this year. Lots of wives and grandmas get their buck tags punched while they are busy shopping. Found out a neighbors grandson shot three bucks on opening weekend, putting other family members' tags on the bucks. All perfectly legal provided the persons whose tag got punched was in the woods hunting as well.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 9:00 pm 

Always been that way in Iowa......When I was a 13year old I decided I was going to get a more powerful bow and learn to hunt deer with it. A lot of that had to do with what I saw during shotgun seasons. Massive groups of guys and trucks hitting plots of timber like a military invasion. There was always some kind of controversy and fight over a deer.

I decided the only way I would have a chance is if I chose the bow. Hardly anyone hunted deer in our area with a bow in the early1970s. Since I lived near good deer habitat I figured I could get a deer with a bow before all the madness started. Well that took some trial and error but the point is, those crazy shot gunners of the 70'S pushed me towards bow hunting.

About that time frame, a kid about my age came running up out of the woods about noon one day scared as heck. He had been still hunting deer alone with a shotgun and all of the sudden some guys started shooting at deer with him down range. He had on a red polyester filled coat and a bunch of that material was hanging out of a slug hole in his sleeve at about bicep height. an inch and it would have took off his arm ...or worse!

I had already finished bow hunting for the season and the sight of him standing there was all the more re-assurance that I had made the right choice.

There was a guy up north of me that was rumored to buy deer tags for his coon hounds.....If you knew him you would believe it too.

Last night at about 3:30pm over 20 deer came roaring through my field. Soon as they jumped onto the neighbors all hell broke loose. Oh well, my neighbors let me bow hunt and they got their family traditions. At least they hunt with shotguns in a traditional manner..........without 4x4 pickups.

Yep every year we sit and suffer through it. I sure hope that buck Al missed makes it through.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 8:13 pm 

Just did a quick check on the Iowa DNR website. So far the number of registered deer kills are 40,761 does, 40,100 antlered bucks, 8,3444 button bucks, and 304 shed antler bucks (interesting #) total 89,509. This is by all methods guns, bows, and crossbows. Many of the counties showed more bucks taken than does. Many still had extra doe tags not purchased. The county I mainly hunt in had 1500 extra doe tags which all were sold but only showed less than 800 does taken so far. If anyone is interested you can check google - Iowa DNR - then look up - DEER HUNTING - next - IOWA DEER HARVEST this will give you a county by county break down of deer taken. Just some figures for everyone.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 10:52 pm 

Finally got help from my daughter since she's on Christmas Break from Iowa State. This picture is of my son's Iowa bow buck taken mid-November 5x5 plus 10" extra point. Sweet buck. Will try and post picture of my buck.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 35.89 KiB | Viewed 2989 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next