It is currently October 18th, 2017, 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Iowa Deer Season
PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 11:24 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
I spent the last week hunting on my property with fellow PBS members Dennis Kelly (NC) and Larry Francis (CO). The hunting was a bit slow. Most of the corn on surrounding properties was still standing. Mid-week the weather turned very cold with 20+ mph winds most days and 2" of snow Friday night. Everyone saw and passed some decent bucks...hoping for the big one to show up...as well as having nice shooter bucks in range but not being able to "pull the trigger" for one reason or another. Monday evening I had a small doe walk by my stand right at quitting time. With an empty freezer and several landowner antlerless tags in my pocket I decided to take her. The shot was "a little far back" as we sometimes say. After locating the arrow (pass-through) and assessing the hit from the info on the arrow I was smart enough to back off and wait until the next morning to track. Tuesday morning broke with high winds and freezing rain so we decided to pass on the morning hunt and after some hot coffee and breakfast went to look for the doe. We found her laying less than 100 yards from the treestand so the decision to wait was a good one. Friday morning we had light snow on the ground and I hunted a new stand located on the edge of one of my better bedding thickets. Several hours after daylight I heard the crunch, crunch of an approaching deer and soon saw a big-bodied buck with a decent 5x5 rack walking on the trail that would pass my stand. When he was broadside at 15 yards I shot and made a good hit. He spun and ran hard for the creek bottom...not quite making it all the way down the hill before expiring. An autopsy revealed a broken heart as cause of death. I was extra glad to have Dennis and Larry present as the buck died right in the creek bottom, an area that has no access for a vehicle to assist in getting it out. A snow sled and an abundance of muscle power eventually got the buck to a location where I could back my truck for pick up. The hunt ended without Dennis of Larry filling their tags but all had a good time, saw plenty of good bucks, viewed a lot of fighting and rut action, and enjoyed the fellowship of hunting together all week.

Attachments:
buck 11-2014.png
buck 11-2014.png [ 677.4 KiB | Viewed 3379 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 11:47 am 

A very nice hard earned buck John. Congratulations!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 12:14 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Nice buck John, and nice job recovering the doe as well. I enjoyed reading your article in the last magazine too.

Barry that last post had me laughing so hard my cube mate at work had to come check out what was so funny. I am glad you can talk about your mistakes. It makes the rest of us feel better when we screw up.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 3:20 pm 

Uncle B, don't feel too bad regarding your "Senior" moment. I can think of at least two times where I got to my final hunting destination/blind only to discover that I had left my arrow tube elsewhere. One involved a herd of elk at 15 yards with no quiver when my hand reached back to draw an arrow.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 2:55 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Bet it was invigorating Barry!!!!!!

Lost track of what I have and have not posted but I'll get to the cream.

Nov 7th Friday: Day before was blustery 20-30MPH plus. Friday was calm and fairly clear. South wind, had plans to hunt Ivy bedding but half way there turned the truck around to go to the X stand where I shot a 145 old mature buck a couple years earlier. Learned to trust my gut and its paid off a few times over the years. Snuck in without spooking anything I know of. Its a thick second growth with cedars grass and and briars, perfect bedding and bucks cruise it for does all day due to the cover. First light a 2.5 8 pt cruises east to west 15 yards. Next a couple yrlg and a doe west to east, the usual movement pattern. Movement usually picks up later am due to deer returning from the fields late and the thick browse cover. By 8 ish I had seen a few more does and small bucks and decided to rattle, as sun was just about treetop level, movement was slower than expected, and I had not rattled all year and I felt like it. Usually I won't blind rattle but it felt right. It helped. A 3.5 0r 4.5 4x4 heavy narrow shorter tined came in all puffed up. 15 yards. Later in the year would have taken him on my second tag but didn't want to interrupt my chances at a bigger deer this am, so passed. I look to the west and out walks a 5x5 150" to 15 yards but I think he's a 3.5yr old and passed. They posture at each other abit, the 4x4 is dominant and they walk off to the southwest. Sweet. About that time I get a text from friend"Jims buck is dead". Jims buck is what we named him and we had history and sheds from severalyears. He has always been a 150-160 deer and we figure he is 6-7 yr old. Doesn't seem to be gaining in the horn department and has a body of a 3-4 year old, maybe dressed 180-190. A great buck. I didn't know if he meant he shot him or found him dead so I called him. He tells me he shot him and saw him fall. Good deal. While we're taking I look up, see a good buck and say big buck and hang up. Hate to be rude! I recognize him as big deer from northwest 2/3 mile away and have a few pics of him. Guessed him at 160's in pics and very old. In person he looks bigger than 160's. Unsure if we have sheds or history with him in past. He hits the creek crossing at 20 yards and holds up, then turns back south, no shot. Looks as if heading away so I gave a couple low grunts and he turns around and commits. He is nice enough to come in on the 10 yard trail but doesn't stop when I grunt. I grunt a couple times louder and he finally stops with the back of his vitals exposed behind cedar and shingle oak. My shot looked back vitals but I believe arrow also deflected a bit off shingle oak. He took off hard southeast and I heard my cedar shaft hit a sapling, saw him at 50 yards, and the thicket ate him up. Couldn't see or hear any more. Since weird arrow flight and probable back vitals hit backed out. Later came back with son and friends and light blood to where I saw him last, found back 2/3 shaft with 2/3 penetration, then 20 more yards blood and lost it. Searched down the trail first and no sign. Then body search from our border 100yard north to the south. After 3 rd pass we would be against creek.I was closest to the creek and I actually was straight south of the stand and I saw him bedded beneath cedars, expired. He actually turned hard right at last blood and doubled back. Traveled 100-125 yard. A real stud. 220 dressed. Its always a privilege to have a chance at these animals much less harvest one with self imposed limitations. Probably doe hunt the rest of year. Hunter my son still chasing one. Hoping for any mature buck. He has passed alot. I tell him not to be so picky at the age of 16. Best of luck to all. Will try and post pic if I can figure it out.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 10:12 pm 

Bob: I'm pretty sure I passed up your buck when he was a button. You owe me! bw

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 9:00 am 

Thanks for passin him, I'll send you my coat!

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 9:45 am 

You guys are sure doing well in IA. Congrats to all! Some really nice deer. Good luck with Tank Uncle B.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 12:06 pm 

Bob.... "Send you my coat" Now that's funny...

Hey Johnny V. You got any pictures of that beast not in the shadows?

Jeff

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 1:38 pm 

Thanks for the new coat Bob.. you're all right. Ha. Congrats. bw

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 3:15 pm 

Bob,John,and Barry
You guys certainly have an exciting season over there in Iowa.
I 've shot a number of bucks over in my neck of the woods and a number of them would have made P/Y had I shot them five years later.LOL
Have not shot any bucks in last few years,but still manage some does for the season.
Love to read your stories keep em coming.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 11:50 am 

Tim, we all must adjust our expectations based on what is realistic for where we hunt. When I hunted Michigan, Kentucky, and North Carolina I was not very picky at all as the number of bucks I had to select from each season was few and the chance of shooting anything older than 2.5 yrs was close to nill. It took more effort to shoot a mature doe in those states than the effort required to kill a P&Y buck in Iowa.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 6:21 pm 

Iowa associate member, Dave Cavanaugh with the buck he took today at 11:30 a.m. I don't have all the details yet and will post a story when I get a chance. Dave hunts north central Iowa not far from where I hunt. In fact, we hunt together several times each season.

Attachments:
IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1230.jpg [ 71.31 KiB | Viewed 3139 times ]

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 7:06 pm 

Gene, I love those old bucks with big noses. That dude looks like you could use him for plowing out potatoes. What a honker!

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 8:24 pm 

I don't know what is going on, but tonight, and last night, and the night before I saw 20 to 25 does and fawns each set. Not a single antlered buck so obviously no chasing, no disturbed females. They can't all be bred yet. Any idea what's up with this particular situation? I have seen damn little rut activity from start to now.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 9:33 pm 

Wow, those are some nice bucks...I would be a plate of soup drawing on one of them. Congrats!

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 12:41 pm 

Gene...maybe you have a stud buck in your herd that has been making the rounds and not wasting any time with foreplay!

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 1:57 pm 

Was in stand at 6:30 this morning and bailed at noon. Deer movement all day. NO and I mean NO rut activity. Saw 4 or 5 bucks and 20 plus does and fawns. No chasing, no interest, just feeding and milling about. Headed back out in about 30 minutes.

Well, after 10 plus hours in two different stands today, I have nothing to show for it. Still a mystery to me why I am seeing zero rutting. The does get bred, so I know it's going on, but it sure has been a strange season.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 8:05 pm 

I'm presently back east for a funeral so I haven't been out the last few days. But last Thursday I saw nine does and three racked bucks. All three of the bucks were cruising alone, mid to late afternoon. No "rutting" action/chasing at all. I think most of the does were bred in the middle of the night during the full moon we had that first week or so of Novemeber. Those that were not successfully bred should be comiung back into heat pretty soon. Stay tuned. bw

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 8:12 pm 

Some great buck guys! I'm really enjoying keeping up with the updates from y'alls neck of the woods!

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 8:40 pm 

Been out several times. Not seeing much of anything. Saw a small buck chasing a doe this am and she lost him quick. Got the weekend of Thanksgiving off hope to see more then. Have not had deer close since I shot my buck on Halloween.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 11:41 pm 

Past Friday: my son Hunter / new youth member hunting. he has passed several bucks and is waiting for a mature(4yr or older ant rack size buck). Not all that old are monster rack growers, any given year we have afew that won't break 120-30. stud bucks body and head size but no bone up top. 2 years ago i shot my second bow buck over thanksgiving that was at least 5 year old, heavy, 20plus inside, 8 point, that wouldn't break 125. any way he wants a 4yr plus old with any bone. its a cold day. he is on a stand we call superman where i shot a 150" 10pt several years earlier and his mother has taken several great bucks with gun in that area as well. west wind is working well for him and he has a 2.5 yr old buck in range and passes. a few does and little bucks later he decides to rattle, a couple minutes later he sees a buck trotting in from the west. after the buck crosses the creek it sees a spike that snuck into the area and hits the trail right below the stand and walks right under the stand. Hunter has recognized the buck as the main beam buck named for the extra 10" point off his left antler base. from velvet to hard horn pics I guessed him 160 plus. hunter disagreed and said he wouldn't shoot him. seeing the buck in person changed his mind and he realized old dad was right(my remark not his?) and he shoots the buck from above. it enters the close side of the shoulder right behind the shoulder. I get an excited call telling me the story and he sneaks out and we rehash the story. we decide to hold off tracking in case of a one lunger. luckily some snow on ground. before he got off stand a mature 9 point is behind him. He hit the buck at 8ish and we take up the track at 130 with a friend. We inform mom and his coach he likely will miss the football banquet. 20 yards from impact we find a speck of blood and back 1/3 of his arrow.
With the other deer in the area and light snow we really can't find the deers track but he did see the deer 100 yards away and lost sight.
no blood was found on the likely travel route. About 30 yards from where he last saw him I spotted him bedded, dead under 3 cedars. double lung shot with no external blood at all due to the high hit and no exit hole. A great buck and really happy for him, he works hard at it in and off season. Beautiful animal, great cape not all buggered up by ticks and scratching, big mature head and 5x5 horns with the extra 10" point. Hunter did find last years shed in the antler pile. By the time we got pics, got the deer out,and packed our gear it was 430. We did make it to the football banquet as well though alittle late. I couldn't be happier for him it really makes my season to see him hit his goal. I'll try and figure out how to get our pics on here. Family hunt in Illinois this weekend so no bowhunt until thanksgiving. Best of luck.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 3:15 pm 

Hello PBS members,
I'm a newbe to the PBS. I'm sorry if I make a mistake or two in my initial attempts to post. I started bow hunting Iowa Whitetail deer in 1975 as a wide eyed 14yr old. I couldn't resist the Iowa deer season topic.
I had a great time this season with the Halloween through Veterans Day period of our North Iowa whitetail rut.

Daughter Alicia was able to join me for the excitement. She had numerous looks at a whopper judging by the pictures of similar sized bucks she made reference to. She hunted along the river bluff in a little used tree stand one night on a crappy south east wind situation. Turns out that buck decided to use the river bluff to scent check an adjoining section of woods. Alicia was forced to watch him over her right shoulder with no shot due to a tree limb. She watched him eat shelf mushrooms off a rotten log. When he finally did move into position he was too far for the shot. Alicia is a bit self conscious about wheezing at deer. She tried and he turned to circle into the wind. She said he got her scent and moved off with his ears tucked back.

Alicia wound up on the last night of her stay hunting a creek bottom where I had found a huge scrape in the sandy soil left over by spring floods. Man this thing is at least 6 foot wide and 10 ft long with a tortured sapling that survived the flood but probably not the rut. I should get a photo of that scrape. My tag was filled so I put a stand up for her that morning.

That evening she watched a buck try several attempts at mounting and falling off a doe and then her jaw dropped as she had another huge buck come in right down the path to the scrape. Al took careful aim and shot over his back................ We've all been there..........It hurts bad...... I asked her later if she wanted that log mounted or maybe take it to the locker to get deer "sticks" made.....She eventually admitted that was funny.

I love my time in the outdoors with her as you can tell. I'd much rather tell her stories. As for me. The buck above gave a impressive accounting of himself by tearing up a tree after I got his attention with a wheeze. He then stiffened up came at me and never hesitated. At 10 yds broadside it was just his day to go. He will have a special place in my home as a treasure collected on what might be our last whitetail hunt for quite some time. Alicia upon finishing dental school, will have a 6 year commitment with the Navy as a Officer / Dentist. Another thing that makes this buck special is he's the first deer that I ever shot with corrective eyewear. Come to think of it.....It was easier to pick a spot

Last edited by Duane Krones on November 24th, 2014, 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 5:17 pm 

Duane and Alicia have signed up for the PBS pig hunt next February in Texas at the Spike Box Ranch. Vegas has yet to place odds on whether father or daughter will take home the bigger pig.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 6:02 pm 

Congratulations all!! There are some dandy bucks on this thread!

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 6:45 pm 

Congratulations on a fine buck and welcome to PBS. Make sure your daughter asks the Gene W. about the biker and the bad tooth.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 8:59 pm 

Welcome to the PBS from Northwest Iowa!! Congrats on an exciting fall.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 9:16 pm 

Great buck and a great story. Welcome to the fraternity.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 11:45 am 

Iowa might be the closest thing to whitetail heaven! Well, done to all. Thank you to all for taking us along
on the adventure.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 11:57 am 

Welcome Duane!

Great story and I love the reference to deer "sticks".

My two sons are also on the path to dental school. My oldest will be applying to dental schools next semester and he is also considering the military route. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear about Alicia's experience in applying and acceptance into the military program. You can Email me direct at terrance.receveur@taconic.com.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next