It is currently June 26th, 2017, 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Iowa Deer Season
PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 9:23 pm 

Things are ready to blow wide open here now. So far, so good. I passed up a very nice 7x6 at 12-13 yards about nine or ten days ago. He looked young to me. Hopefully he will be a around another season. I took the day off today due to high winds and some chores that needed tending to around home but yesterday and the day before were very good. Mornings were best. On Tuesday and Wednesday I sat all day in two different spots. I saw eight bucks on Tuesday. All but one were just cruising (alone). One 3 year old came by in hot pursuit of a doe, the rest just roaming. Six of the eight were seen between 7am and 8:30am. Two of the bucks really tempted me but I decided to pass. Yesterday I saw four bucks, all between dawn and 9am. One P&Y class 4x4 walked right under my tree. I got some great video footage of these deer. I made some stills by freeze framing footage but unfortunately I'm not one of those guys who can figure out how to post photos. Sorry.
Anyway, this coming week should be spot on. Good luck to one and all.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 9:15 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Let me help you out Uncle Gene. Here's that itty bitty 7x6 that is still "too ripe to pick". LOL!

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Member
Yeah, just another year or two and that buck will really be something. ;)

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 9:18 pm 

No such a thing as "too ripe" Mick. He is not ripe enough.... Saw him again today.
gw

PostPosted: November 7th, 2014, 9:49 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Damn slow in my neck of the woods in north central Iowa. I've only seen 3 "maybe' shooters in the last three weeks. Too much standing corn still in in the sections around my woods. We don't have the big deer like in the valhalla in southern Iowa, but still, it should be better than what is going on now. Of course, i'll keep after it.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 12:18 pm 

The godfather speaks the truth...

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 12:21 pm 

Gene Hall wrote:
Hurry it up, dick weed.

Hah! I know how I can greet you at the next function...

Nice one d...er...Gary!

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 12:24 pm 

Uncle B,

Let's go...where's Tank?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 9:49 pm 

I sat all day yesterday and saw 14 bucks. Most were just cruising. Two for sure chases but its still early. I choked on a great 6x5 when my lower limb hit the railing of my stand when I released. Missed him by somewhere around five feet at 18 yards :cry: Thsi morning I set up a doe decoy with wooden clothes pins on her head to look like spikes. The big 5x5 was the first deer I saw at 7:30am. Made a good shot as he postured for the decoy. Went down in 25-30 yards. I'm on the bench until December except for some doe meat chores.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 11:30 am 

Nice job Gene. Are you using the ropes?

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 1:38 pm 

Kyle Lancaster wrote:
Nice job Gene. Are you using the ropes?

I'm sure he will expound but since he is hopeless at adding a picture to anything on the internet, this will say...yes.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 9:29 pm 

CONGRATS UNCLE GENE!! Fine looking buck!

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 9:58 pm 

Thanks Steve O - Gene H. has a way with words.

Just got home tonight from 3 1/2 days of deer hunting. Still have a doe tag. First couple of days were very slow just a couple of does sighted. Sunday morning was nice and calm so I headed to my favorite spot which is a deep finger draw leading from a bigger patch of woods into a picked corn field. Needed a calm or light north wind to hunt it which is what I had.
Got settled into the stand a nice oak tree and sat down to wait for daylight. At shooting light a basket rack 8 pt came from the north and walked the 15 yard trail. Soon a small fawn came from south walking towards the corn field. A 15 minutes later a doe with 2 fawns did the same. Pretty soon they were back followed by a small buck. I could hear other deer moving on the west side of the draw and it sound like a small fight was taking place on a flat area on that side. I do have a stand up there but chose the east side stand instead. I caught a glimpse of a nice buck headed away from me into the bigger timber followed by a bigger buck. At the time I couldn't tell how big. The doe with the two fawns were starting to feed towards me so I started to get ready for a possible shot but they turned north after first squatting to pee and left. I looked across the draw and saw the small buck was joined by another small buck they continued up the other ridge and out of sight.
Looking back toward the big timber I could see another deer carrying a rack. Bringing up the binoculars this one was a giant. He had a heavy 10 pt main frame with character points. I could catch him every once in a while moving from the other ridge and following the dry creek bed in the bottom of the draw. Every time I would think he was gone he would show back up. He had been standing still the whole time. I nicknamed him "Smalls" because he was KILLING ME.
During all of this I heard a noise behind me and turning saw a coyote was coming in. It messed around behind me then headed to the west and out of sight. No shots.
A doe and a button buck came up the draw followed by a medium sized buck. He wasn't chasing them just following about 30 yards behind them. "Smalls" came off the ridge and followed a while but didn't seem to interested he must have known she wasn't ready. He was just looking things over. The doe and fawn were working there way to me but behind my stand. The other buck kept following but stayed back. "Smalls" headed back up the ridge and out of sight. I did manage to get a good look at him and estimated him at 170+.
As the fawn disappeared behind me I was watching the doe for an opportunity but she stayed just out of range. I heard the leaves crunch behind me and looking around the tree saw the button buck bedded about 20 yards away. I turned back and watch the buck scent check were the other deer had peed and watched him do a lip curl checking the scent. Another crunch on the leaves and the doe is bedded 15 yds away behind me. The buck slow walks over he watches the other two and then he beds also 12 yards away. Incredible!
All I can do is watch. Which can be fun. From time to time the buck would close his eyes and his muzzle would slowly lower to the ground. The doe and fawn were just chewing their cud like a couple of cows. Every once in while I would catch the doe looking up in the tree at me but she never seemed alarmed. HMMM.
After about an hour of this my butt is killing me not to mention "nature is calling". One of us has got to go. As if on cue the buck gets to his feet and stretches. The doe and fawn do like wise and head slowly north. After 15 minutes they are finally out of sight. I quickly exit the tree stand and get out of the draw looping way out around the draw to not disturb the deer.
I believe "Smalls" was probably bedded on the west side of the draw. If Monday morning was quiet. I would be back again. Just on the west side.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 9:59 pm 

Congrats Gene another great one.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2014, 5:03 pm 

Steve-O posted a picture of the one I refer to as the Tank. He's 7.5 years old and I came close to getting him last year. First off, I want to mention it's not like we're hunting in a zoo. For example, yesterday morning I only saw two fawns and a 3x2. On Saturday AM another bowhunter (who wants to remain anonymous.. and one you guys would not know) had Tank walk right under him at 5 yds. He hit him high in the back because of the sharp angle. I helped him look for seven hours and we never found a drop of blood. I was afraid he might have got enough to kill/lose him but apparently not (thank you Lord). Yesterday afternoon I had a decent 18" wide 4x4 walk by at 12 yds. He was the only deer I saw. Then at 5PM I caught movement. Here comes the Tank guarding a huge, mature doe. They were 40 yds. and I had a perfect wind and terrain that was also to my advantage. They hardly moved in five minutes but then I realized they were walking at an angle I wouldn't get a shot. So I wheezed at him. He instantly turned and came in to 30 yds. We had the big, stressful stand-off. After five minutes he turned and slowly started back towards her so I wheezed at him again. He turned and here he comes. He locked up at 22 yds. quartering towards me. I had a shooting lane just a few steps in front of him. She never took a single step in a timed half hour. I was losing light fast. Finally he stepped forward broadside at 22 yds. Because I shoot instinctive I knew I could hit him but also knew it was past legal shooting time. I'll fess up it was a real test to my honesty. I kept thinking he had been wounded... but I also kept thinking he was acting perfectly normal and it was illegal. I decided not to shoot. It was now dark. The last time I looked at my watch it was 5:46 and they were still standing there. I was locked down but convinced they didn't have a clue the boogey man was right there. Finally the wind picked up and a close tree limb fell and I could see him turn and walk back. I gave it five more minutes and slid out of there as quietly as I could. Very, very cool experience. I'm elated he's still alive and well. That makes FOUR times I've had him under 20 yds. and have still not released an arrow for one reason or another. What an honor it is to hunt these magnificent animals. bw

PostPosted: November 11th, 2014, 9:47 pm 

Continued.....

Monday morning the wind was still from the same direction but was a bit breezier. I headed to the same draw and took the stand on the west side this time. As soon as it became light enough to shoot, I saw a small deer down in the draw walking south towards the big timber. It was walking in the dry creek bed. The deer climbed out of the creek bed and headed east to the top of the draw. A short time later I looked south into the big timber and could barely see a buck following a doe in the big timber. It was sporting a large rack I thought it might be "Smalls". They were headed away from me and I only caught a brief glimpse of them. Later a deer came from the east side crossed the dry creek and headed up hill towards me. It was a small 6 pt buck which took the trail right past my stand at 5 yards. His nose was to the ground and he never knew I was there.
For a half hour it was pretty quiet. Just a few squirrels running around. I heard just one loud grunt growl from the east side of the draw. A few minutes later another small 8 pt buck came from the bottom of the draw up towards my side and headed on the same trail as the 6pt. but was further away and headed in the same direction. Everything was quiet for about 10 minutes when two more deer came from where I had heard the growl. They came down the hillside into the bottom of the draw. The first one was a doe followed by a buck. It was "Smalls" and he was right behind the doe. As they reached the bottom of the draw, she stopped and he tried to mount her. She kept getting away from him. He tried several times to mount her but she would walk away from him. This was occurring about 50 yards from me. As I continued to watch I could see something was not right with him. He did seem to be able to walk correctly and appeared to be favoring his right front leg. She finally turned and headed back to the big timber and I got a good look at his right front leg. He could hardly if at all put any weight on it. I could see a large lump just above the knee. Several times he almost fell down as he followed her headed back into thicker cover. I am not sure if the leg was broken but obviously had become severely injured in the last 24 hours. He did not give up following the doe. They were around my stand for about 10 minutes.
After two more hours I had seen nothing else so I climbed out of the stand and headed out of the timber. I wished him luck but was saddened to see the injury because it did not look good. He gave a good show for two days.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 3:22 pm 

Weekend 5 10/31/14 Fri Busy hunting havent posted in awhile. Here's the abbreviated version. 5 avenue stand, 15 doe and yrlg nothing over 3.5 as far as bucks. Passed some does. That evening northeast funnel stand 2 does and 2 3.5 bucks. next am, Hunter my son sat silo stand and saw over 7 bucks and passed some 2.5 2nd 3.5 yr bucks, told him he's crazy for a 16y old to pass. Has his sights set on a mature buck no matter the horn size. Next day he sits ivy ladder stand in bedding and sees over 10 different bucks and has a mature buck close but the wind swirls and spooks before a shot. Several bucks chasing does in the wetlands. I hunt superman, saw several does and several 2.5 bucks as well as 1.5. Maybe one 3.5 but not sure. Walking out a different direction so as "not to spook deer" I spooke doe yrlg and probably 2 different 3.5 bucks. PM hunter hunted ivy ladder where I saw the 160 and he saw him again this eve, 50 yards or so, same pattern out of range. Yes we want a stand there but I am sure would spook deer getting to it. He is a 5x5 with stickers on both G2 . Nice deer. Next am I hunt acorn, several bucks and does, nothing mature, had a 3.5 140-45 10 pt in range as well as 2.5's. Several other hunts with other bucks and does.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 8:50 pm 

Congrats Gene! What a beauty! Good luck with Tank Barry. I'm betting on you.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 6:25 am 

Love the updates guys. Super good stuff here.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 11:12 am 

Great buck Gene - congrats!
Four times under 20 yards Barry? Tank is playing with fire - I'm thinking his days are numbered. Looking forward to seeing how far your fingers can stretch around the bases.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 2:25 pm 

No.. actually four times under 22 yds. First time broadside on Oct. 8th. broadside at 18 yds. I let him walk because I didn't want to fill my tag that early in the season. Afterwards I had a long serious talk with myself and decided I should shoot him if given another good chance. Two days later he came by at 20 yds. but it was a frontal angle. He walked under a branch and by the time he came out and was broadside he was 30 yds. I don't feel comfortable at 30 yds. no matter how big he is. Then another morning I got in a stand before light. Just at barely first light I could see a big bodied deer working the scrape at 15 yds.. I put the binocs on him and could see him but it was still too dark/early. The trail camera on the scrape verified it was him. Then the other evening it was plenty of light when I first saw him at 40 yds. He was with a huge doe. When I realized they wouldn't angle towards me I wheezed. He came in to 30 yds. and we had the big stare-down. Finally he started back towards the doe so I gave him another wheeze. He came in to 22 yds. and locked up. He stood there until it was pitch black. As I said, I knew I could have hit him as he was broadside right in one of my cut shooting lanes but I also knew it was after hours. It really tested my honesty because another bowhunter hit him high in the back several days before that. I helped the guy look for him for seven hours but we never found a drop of blood. I was concerned he might have been wounded enough to crawl off and die. But they're tough critters. If I am lucky enough to get him it'll make a great story. Even now it's a great story in my memory. The hunters that don't develop a personal relationship with specific animals miss out on a lot of fun and satisfaction. bw

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 3:27 pm 

That is rough. Too bad he wasn't a little later.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 11:07 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
You want stories, I'll give you stories. "It was a dark and stormy night..." wait, that's a different story. Thursday, November 13th saw me hit the woods a little later after work than I had hoped. I was set and ready at 5 minutes to 3. The wind, out of the WNW was OK for the "Tuning Fork" stand on my 80 acre piece of timber. At 3:13 I saw a buck cruising the ridge line 125 yards to the west heading from north to south which surprised me because he should have been going the other direction. He wasn't coming my way so I snort wheezed, knowing he wouldn't be able to hear me with the strong wind covering up the sound. Unfortunately for the buck, he did hear me and bailed off the ridge instantly and swiftly heading toward me angling to the south (downwind). As he was coming through the middle of some large blow-downs, I noticed a small doe under my stand at 5 yards. She must have snuck in from the south along the Little Cedar River. Now I really couldn't move and the buck was out of sight behind a large river maple tree so I had no idea what the buck was doing. Only a few seconds later, he appeared from behind the maple and continued toward the river, paying little attention to the doe. As he was just about to hit my scent stream, he paused, inexplicably, for a second at 17 yards. Too bad for him. The Woodsman took him behind the shoulder and sunk into the ground beyond. He bolted to the base of the ridge and stood. I got my binoculars on him and could clearly see the entrance wound... no blood. "What the hell?" I thought. I knew the shot was good. Then I noticed an ever widening pool of blood on the ground pouring from the off side. Another doe came off the ridge and the buck looked at her and began to walk after her as if he had not just been shot. However, he was only able to follow her for about 10 yards and fell over not 70 yards from the stand. The entire sequence from first sighting the buck on the ridge to watching him fall over was only about 4 minutes. Kinda cool. Not the biggest buck in the land and as Uncle Gene would say, "He'd be a good one in 4 or 5 years." My landowner's tag is now filled, the blood lust has abated and it's on to trophys or a tasty doe. He is 10 points with a couple of stickers and a legit 18 inch inside spread. I'll try and post better pics from a friend's camera when I can. Good hunting to all.

Attachments:
AsHeLay.jpg
AsHeLay.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 4134 times ]
DSCN0853.JPG
DSCN0853.JPG [ 327.9 KiB | Viewed 3983 times ]

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 4:38 pm 

Nice story and nice buck there Gene. Someone got unlucky and for once it was the deer. I like the picture.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 5:56 pm 

Gene, that is a great story, especially with a Snoopy reference!

You should see if you can talk to anyone with some pull with the magazine to get that story published...

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 7:04 pm 

You Iowa guys are all spoiled!!! :D
Fantastic bucks guys, love following these threads!

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 8:44 pm 

Congratulations Gene, excellent story and excellent buck.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2014, 7:24 am 

Congratulations Gene! He's a very cool looking buck.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2014, 12:58 pm 

I cannot believe myself sometimes. I've been doing this stuff for well over 50 years. Have written the books; done the videos; the TV shows; lecture circuits, etc. This AM I get up at 4AM to a 16 degree temp with a SSE wind at 8 MPH bringing the wind chill to 9 or 10 or whatever. I hike up one mountain, down the other side, cross the creek, go up to the top of the second hill to my stand. I timed it to be in my stand a half hour before first light so everything will be settled down. I stop just short of the stand to put on my heavy coat, safety belt, bincos, warm hat, gloves, etc. Open my backpack to discover I forgot my COAT!!! You gotta be kidding me. My COAT! Ten degrees, Nov. 15th in Iowa, big buck city, rutting action, perfect stand and no coat. All I had on was a damn sweatshirt. I lasted until 9:30 and had to pull out. I know... I know... real men don't pull out. What a rookie. BW

PostPosted: November 15th, 2014, 3:49 pm 

Well Barry, sorry to hear about your dilemma. But sometimes it happens to the best of us. It could be a thing of time, I won't say age(LOL), but that is certainly cold without a coat.

Tony

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next