It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Iowa Deer Season
PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 6:45 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Finally got back on the job now that the gang bangers are out of the woods. Saturday afternoon I sat one of my favorite stands in a small clover field just downhill of a picked cornfield. No deer movement at all until the final 20 minutes of daylight. This is unusual and makes me think the gang bangers were hitting surrounding properties because deer on my place normally act as though gun season never occurred. Does, fawns, and small bucks started pouring out of the creek bottoms and up the clover patch. Passed on a 20 yard shot opportunity at a mature doe as it was getting dark and I was not confident. Sunday morning sat my best late season stand on my west side. No movement at all until about 10 am when does and fawns started moving through the cedar patch I was sitting. About 10:30 I heard a twangy grunt and looked back to see a very nice mature 4x4 coming down the hill towards me. I recognized him as the buck I had missed earlier in October. Very high points and would score around 150" if he hadn't broken off his right G3 point. He passed through my shooting lane and I shot low, just under him. Rats. Next weekend will be it for me and then it is on to pigs in Texas!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 8:19 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I grabbed the longbow for an evening hunt over the weekend. I don't own a lot of property, about 11 acres, but its next to some prime habitat that is not open to hunting. My neighbors timber is west and south of me. The deer have a place to survive the gun season if their habits bring them in close north of my land.

Daughter Al was hunting the neighbors land south west of me. She was late getting ready. (typical Doc type stuff). I was already in my stand on the north side when she crossed our field on the opposite side of a grove between us. A bunch of does busted out of that low ground and blew past me. I drew twice but they were bent on getting out of there.

A half hour later I started hearing clicking noises coming from down below me to the north across the creek. finally a bunch of deer moved into view. The source of the sound was a really nice 10 pointer with a sense of humor. He was sparing lightly with a little toy buck. That's a good attitude, I thought. He's found time to play with the youngsters. I only have a L.O.T. tag for a doe left so I was hoping for a young doe.

I saw over 25 separate deer that night and didn't have a shot. Great to see that buck though. Al saw numerous deer as well but only had one deer in range. A button buck at 5 yds. She let him walk. That's it for her deer season. Back to Iowa City for dental school and looking forward to the Spikebox hunt in Feb.

A little more snow and I will be working on coyotes.......(fawn killers)... Its our duty to keep em thinned out.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 6:11 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
My early November 7x6 buck, great season.

Attachments:
image (1).jpg
image (1).jpg [ 864.81 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 12:38 am 

Good job Bob! Congrats!
Gene

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 8:41 pm 

Well, boys, tonight was an interesting hunt. I don't think I've ever hunted in winds with gusts to 50 miles an hour, but I did tonight. Snow and wind and a windchill about 20 below. Had to hang on to the tree with both hands sometimes and a tree fell across the road blocking my exit. Luckily I was able to cut enough of the tree with my hand saw to get my truck around it. Not as much deer movement as I expected. The deer would hang up back in the timber and never did come to the corn. Perhaps the noise of the corn stalks and the tornadic winds spooked them. I only had fawns close enough to shoot so I passed, but I wonder how much the wind would have affected the arrow at a 20 yard shot? I'm sure the arrow flight would have sucked, but how far would the wind move the arrow?

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015, 10:22 am 

Sounds like at least the deer had enough sense to stay out of the wind! :lol:

Tomorrow is the last day of the season. Plan to go out tomorrow pm of one last try and then pack up hunting gear for the Texas pig hunts.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015, 11:31 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Late season, Iowa cold and nasty, my favorite time to hunt over the years. The last few years though it finds me "guiding" the kids, wife, nephew, and brother in law. This year was no different until now. They have tagged and I'm in the woods. Give ya the highlights of a few hunts. A week ago my son was muzzleloading a 1/4-1/3 mile east of me on corn field. I'm on a frozen clover plot. At 330 I heard him shoot. He was hunting the "palmated buck", a buck we were targeting early but lost track of him until recently. Supposedly a neighbor kid shot him at 40 yrd during bow season and he ran into our land as usual. The kid never even went to look for him citing various school, and sports excuses. I did gently chastise for not looking. Any way to our surprise he reemerged, 12/14. Secretly I hoped he evaded Hunters shot but I knew that was unlikely. As usual his phone was dead and couldn't contact him. 45 minutes later I see a large deer across the CRP making his way to me. Binos up, and to my surprise, its the palmated buck. About this time Hunter calls from the truck stating he has hit the palmated buck. I tell him I'm watching him and the buck looks very healthy and is happily feeding on clover. I cannot see any wound and we surmise he is fine. He feeds by just out of range. So far Hunter is zero for two as he missed him last year with bow. I'm pretty confident he will be around for next year at this point. However, my daughter who has hunter more this year than ever before (gun), and has passed numerous bucks is still hunting. A week or so later with zero temps, 20-30MPH winds is in the same ground blind and who pops out. The palpated buck is at 40 yards and she misses with muzzleloader. Can't say I'm sad but he runs 40 yards and starts to feed with the does. I am not too worried as I really think there is no chance he will return. Famous last words. As other deer filter closer he feels more at ease and does as well and at 50 yards she ends the story and puts him down. A beautiful 7x7, heavy, nice spread, mass, good tine length, with a fork on one side and common base for 2 points on the other. Very happy for her as she put in her time and fought the elements, but regret he won't be there to chase next year. We believe he is a 5 year old as we have 2 years prior sheds. 2 days ago I was in a ladder on the edge of a corn field. Temps 2 degrees and wind 15-20 nw . Had a great hunt, saw a 160 plus 5x5 with stickers off g2's, passed as he has been around the whole year and hopefully he'll be back next year. Saw a nice 10 pt 150" and another mature 9 and 8 pt. Several smaller bucks and does but no shots at does. Don't know if I'll get out saturday pm. Wouldn't mind 1 more chance at a doe as its along time out til next season.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5