It is currently October 18th, 2017, 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 11:32 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I know there are many long time PBS Associates that meet or exceed the minimum qualifications required to apply for Regular Membership.

I know most Associates have questions about Regular Status, some of them have doubts about whether they are Regular Material, if they meet the standards, if they even have a desire to be a Regular, what is expected of a Regular Member etc.

Now first allow me to state that I am not pointing fingers at anybody or calling them out for failing to apply for Regular status, as I have just done so and have been a member for 20 years next month.

My reasons for not applying sooner were purely personal and I had some bowhunting goals that I wanted to attain that were above and beyond the requirements for Regular Membership.

Truthfully, I should have applied for regular membership many years ago, but I was being pig headed as my reasons for waiting meant nothing to anybody bu me, no other person within the society knows or would even care why I waited so long. I was probably being a little selfish about not applying. The simple fact that every single time I was around any Regular Member that knew me on any personal level would eventually ask me when I was going to submit my application etc. That alone should have been enough to nudge me into making a move.

I know most Associates think that maybe they are not good enough, famous enough, rich enough, bald enough you know what I mean.

I think the first thing any associate must know about being / applying for Regular Status, In my opinion is this. The requirements for applying for regular membership are the minimum accepted standards. I.E. not every single member that has been a member for 2 years and killed 8 animals with a bow are ready to be a Regular Member. What do I mean by this you ask? Well, if you took up bowhunting two years ago, joined the PBS have been on 8 fully guided hunting trips and managed to kill 8 animals where the only real hunting skills you have developed were shooting skills, and all of the woodsmanship, calling, packing, game locating skills etc were those of somebody else, you most likely are not truly ready to be considered for Regular membership.

Conversely, if you just got into bowhunting 2 years ago, joined the PBS, have totally immersed yourself into bowhunting, outdoor skills, gamesmanship, outdoor survival, sought out a mentor or mentors, gleaned every possible bit of information from them, hunting in your home state like a man possessed, learned from your mentors and by watching, hunting and killing game, on your own at times, managed to succeed above all odds, even if you have never left your home state, you could very well be Regular material.

I think that far more of us are Regular Member Material than we give ourselves credit for. I also think that Regular Members need to do a better job of Identifying those that appear to be regular material, or have the potential to be regulars and mentor them and help them work towards what should be the goal of all associates, to apply for and be accepted as a Regular, Qualified member of the PBS.

If you wait until you are the perfect, quintessential bowhunter, you will never be ready. Every bowhunter worth a darn continues to learn every single time he laces up his boots and grabs his bow.

If you have been in the PBS for 5 years, if you have been to a banquet or two, if you have hunted with enough PBS members for people to gauge what sort of bowhunter and person you are, if you have taken at least 8 animals with a bow, if you live and breath bowhunting and have a servants heart and wish to better the PBS, its membership and bowhunting in general by seeking knowledge as well as sharing your experience with others, you are a solid Regular Member Candidate, you are the PBS.

If you have an interest in becoming a Regular Member but feel you are lacking the skills, the experience, the knowledge or the kills, let me of any other PBS member know and we will find you a Regular Member to help mentor you and allow you to grow as a bowhunter and acquire the skills and confidence it takes to be considered for such an honor.

This is not a Regular Membership drive being kicked off by me, as I have always felt a membership drive always has shear numbers as the goal. We don't need Regular Members added because we need the numbers, we need regular members added that will live up to a 50 year tradition that was forged before us, we need service minded, knowledgeable bowhunters that want to help move the PBS forward and provide the bowhunting community with what was once, and what will once again be an organization that is the Pinnacle of Bohunting knowledge, experience and service minded individuals that will make others take notice and want to be a part of what we have to offer.

If you think you might want to become a Regular Member, but are not sure you are ready, post in this thread, we can see to it that you are put in contact with a couple Regular Members and they can gauge your readiness.

Steve H. posted that the highest number of Regulars ever accepted in a single year was 24, this is only 2 per month, we are currently on pace for such a year if all the members that have applied are accepted. I would like to see us get a solid 25 or so New Regular Members from around the country. 25 new Regulars that are fired up, willing to serve the society and share their knowledge with new bowhunters could go a long way towards reinvigorating the PBS.

Are you ready? Are you up to the challenge? Are you ready to serve? Are you willing to cast a vote in every council election and on every single ballot initiative?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 2:09 pm 

Yep to all thee above.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 2:14 pm 

Well said P.J. - and congratlatioans for finally stepping up and submitting your application!

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 2:15 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Best post I've seen on the topic, PJ. Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 2:20 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Good post PJ. Many of you Associate members are just as frustrated as us Regular members regarding the difficulties in getting some by-laws changes that will benefit this organization. We NEED you help by becoming a Regular voting member who can help us in enacting some changes that are sorely needed.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 2:38 pm 

working on it .... :) slowly but surely

USAF (Retired)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

I vote this as the single, finest post on .net.

We also gladly would accept applications from places such as New Zealand...

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 4:44 pm 

Mike Vines wrote:
Yep to all thee above.

Well, get on with it. ;)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Someone cut the rail Tony Sanders has been sitting on while you've got the saw out....

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Steve Hohensee wrote:
Someone cut the rail Tony Sanders has been sitting on while you've got the saw out....

Who else should we call out?! ;)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 5:51 pm 

Yea, Mike Vines no pressure on your bear hunt...... ;) just pulling your leg bro.

Steve H
I cannot regularly keep my freezer full yet, I have no clue as to how many big game I have killed or the requirements for regular membership. Something to think about when I can kill more regularly.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Richard Flett wrote:

Steve H
I cannot regularly keep my freezer full yet, I have no clue as to how many big game I have killed or the requirements for regular membership. Something to think about when I can kill more regularly.

Me neither bro. Your attitude and passion plus eight 'larger' animals is the threshold. Some misperceptions lie in what is acceptable big game. I would contend if you are at or above eight pigs, goats, deer, even turkey, then you are there. We will clarify some of this soon in an upcoming packet on applying for AND mentoring/sponsoring a Regular applicant. Will likely be post Cincinnati.

Oh yeah, a mentor-sponsor too, Too Short?

Wallabies too man!

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 6:59 pm 

I know several others that should be a part of this crowd. Any one working on WRB? Jack D if any associate is Regular Member Qualified it's you.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 7:26 pm 

Steve Hohensee wrote:

I will send note to Tony Sanders...after-all he is retired now and lots of free time unless momma has him doing cruises and disney trips with grand kids every weekend. :)

Is Phil Harris still a member...not talked to him in a couple years.

USAF (Retired)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 7:30 pm 

Steve Hohensee wrote:
Richard Flett wrote:

Steve H

Me neither bro. Your attitude and passion plus eight 'larger' animals is the threshold. Some misperceptions lie in what is acceptable big game. I would contend if you are at or above eight pigs, goats, deer, even turkey, then you are there. We will clarify some of this soon in an upcoming packet on applying for AND mentoring/sponsoring a Regular applicant. Will likely be post Cincinnati.

Oh yeah, a mentor-sponsor too, Too Short?

Wallabies too man!

Even turkey? I'm in then.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 7:32 pm 

Rob Burnham wrote:
I know several others that should be a part of this crowd. Any one working on WRB? Jack D if any associate is Regular Member Qualified it's you.

I did not know WRB was not a regular.

I believe it's time Mr D. The class of 2014 needs our version of Thornton Melon.

Jack needs to work on his version of a Tripple Lindy while we are in Cinci.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 7:39 pm 

Mike,

A turkey, Coyote, fox etc are every bit a challenge as a Deer, Hog or Javelina.

I have been trying to kill a stinking turkey with a bow so long I have pretty much given up.

Sounds like you better get looking for a sponsor-- :)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 7:41 pm 

email sent to Tony Sanders and Phil Harris.

USAF (Retired)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 7:46 pm 

For those wondering who "Thornton Melon" is, here's a clip to fill you in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDMMYT3vkTk

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 8:08 pm 

Congrats P.J. I need to get off the fence to. Maybe I can get Vonigutt (sp?) to write it for me.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 8:10 pm 

P.J. Petiniot wrote:
Mike,

I have been trying to kill a stinking turkey with a bow so long I have pretty much given up.

I keep hearing that, but in 2003, I went out to deer hunt with a recurve I had built that spring and already killed deer with it. Walking to my stand, I saw 3 gobblers walking towards me. I leaned up on a tree and at 10 yards (ish) I drew/anchored/released in one motion. A couple minutes later I was walking out with my turkey.

I have been told turkey didn't count towards big game. Didn't understand it, but I'm not one to argue the little things.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 8:16 pm 

Mike Vines wrote:
P.J. Petiniot wrote:
Mike,

I keep hearing that, but in 2003, I went out to deer hunt with a recurve I had built that spring and already killed deer with it. Walking to my stand, I saw 3 gobblers walking towards me. I leaned up on a tree and at 10 yards (ish) I drew/anchored/released in one motion. A couple minutes later I was walking out with my turkey.

I have been told turkey didn't count towards big game. Didn't understand it, but I'm not one to argue the little things.

You're Golden--

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 8:44 pm 

They PBS guys that have meet me , do u think I'm Ready to become a regular?? And why don't hold back Maybe I should be asking the regulars this question that have meet me !!!

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 8:48 pm 

Craig I think you know my answer, You are definitely Regular Qualified. As soon as you are ready I say get-R-done.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 8:56 pm 

Craig,

If my opinion is worth anything, as a 20 year PBS member and a person that knows you well, and has hunted with you, I assure you and everybody else that you are indeed PBS Regular Material.

P.J.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 10:45 pm 

P.J.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments of your opening post- very well stated.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 10:51 pm 

Daniel Russell wrote:
P.J.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments of your opening post- very well stated.

Thanks Dan, Arrrrghhhh :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 12:55 am 

Craig you know how I feel about this when ever your ready

Member of NRA

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 2:46 am 
Site Admin

P.J. Petiniot wrote:

I thought maybe that was 'Blue' from "Old School".

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 10:26 am 

Steve Hohensee wrote:
P.J. Petiniot wrote:

I thought maybe that was 'Blue' from "Old School".

You're my Boy WRB-- You're my Boy------ :lol: