It is currently November 21st, 2017, 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: January 30th, 2014, 9:22 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Me and a buddy are tackling the logistics of going moose hunting in 2015 and have been talking to different outfitters mostly in NF, but had somebody talking about Alberta. Fouind some good info there also. Anybody here hunted both areas to compare? Or just pitch in with whatever you know about either place.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: January 31st, 2014, 2:31 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Dan,

Ryk Visscher has some pretty good moose hunts in the bow zone around Edmonton. High success rate and decent size racks (for Alberta). Google his name for website. His hunts go for about $6500 for the farm land hunt to $8500 for the wilderness area. Not a bad price considering what it costs for a guided moose hunt and your chance of killing a 35-50" bull is pretty good. Ton of moose in Newfoundland but racks tend to be small. People say if you just want to kill a moose at a reasonable price and are not picky about size that Newfoundland is a good choice. Getting to be a top end moose hunt for the really big guys is almost as pricey as a guided hunt for Dall's sheep.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

I hunted moose in NF in 2005 and saw a lot of moose, muffing several decent opportunities. Hunted with Moose Valley Outfitters, which flew in from Deer Lake to a remote lake in excellent moose country. We saw several bulls close to 45 inches wide.

I think several PBSers have had good moose hunts recently in Alberta, including Duane Means and Bob Seltzer.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 12:25 pm 

I have hunted Alberta Moose with AWGS 4 times. They are a smaller outfit and specialize in bow hunting moose. Last I checked they don't even take any gun hunters for moose. Great outfit and quality moose/moose country. There are a number of PBSers who have hunted with them including myself, Duane Means, Bob Selzer and some others. Dean Bromberger and David Bzawy are the POCs for their eastern camps (2).
http://www.ihuntalberta.com/archery-moose-hunts.html is the URL for their website.

They also have a camp in western Alberta and while I have never been over there, I have hunted with Tyler Shryer who runs that camp and can say he is a great guy and super moose guide.

I think Alberta is the better choice compared to NF and I would put AWGS at the top of your list of possible Alberta outfitters.

PM me your phone number or email and I can give you my experience/point of view in greater detail.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

One bonus of NF compared to Alberta, even though the population is down recently and tags are more limited, is the chance to hunt caribou at same time as moose. Heck, I even had a bear tag during my hunt but I was the only one in the group to not even see a bear while hunting.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 4:58 pm 

No offense meant to Jeff, but the chances of stumbling into another species in bow range coincidental to hunting a moose are long at best and non res/alien tags are not cheap. IMO, focus on your moose hunt and pick your destination and outfitter based on logistics, budget/time and perceived potential for opportunity. I am talking about mature moose here...contrary to what you may have heard, a moose with a bow is not easy. Please reread that last sentence. For every story about the moose that walked myopically into an ambush I can give you five about the ones that hung up at forty yards in a willow thicket, circled around down wind and busted the set up or spotted, yes saw visually, me or a partner hunkered down in the brush prior to the shot. Or the 10 day moose hunt that was dramatically shortened by weather. It is a popular myth that moose have visual acuity issues. You will need good concealment and camo and a head net. Again, one man's humble opinion...... a moose is similar to a hog in as much as it ain't hard to get within 75 yards of them, but closing that last 30 yards is way more often than not, a challenge. Once you nail down the moose outfitter then take a look at incidental opportunity, not the other way around. You may find that one in five moose that can't see and is luv sick beyond recall on the first day of the hunt and have lots of time on your hands to chase other critters or fish, but I wouldn't bet your trip on it. Then again, I never hunted moose in NF, so maybe they are easier......but I doubt it. ;)

PostPosted: February 4th, 2014, 9:25 pm 

Thanks for the info. We are narrowing our search down to AWGS and a NF outfitter.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2014, 9:52 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I hunted with AWGS this year. We hunted out of Tyler Shyrys place. It was a tough hunt for everyone. I saw 2 moose in ten full days and my wife never saw one. 5 bowhunters in camp and one shot taken. And it was a chance encounter. Plenty of sign but the moose weren't cooperating.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 6:25 am 

Dan is giving you very good advice on moose behavior and how the actual hunt is often much different than our expectations. My average shot distance is 12 yards on dead bulls. Getting from 150 down to 20 yards is a real hat-trick on an older bull...smart suckers and nobody's fool most of the time.

For me, I'll buy and carry the extra tags for bear and caribou. I killed a dandy blackie in the Yukon while moose hunting, and would've missed one of my finest adventures ever if not for that bear tag. Same with caribou. I've had several opportunities at them while moose hunting, but no score for me. Burkhardt killed a slammer 'bou while moose hunting a few years ago. I look at it as opportunity. I'm not bear or caribou hunting, but if the chance comes up quickly, like it often does, I'm switching gears.

Moose are so much fun! Okay...when they're dead they're not so much fun.... ;)

PostPosted: December 12th, 2014, 10:09 pm 

Bringing this back up. We had booked with a Newfoundland outfitter but our booking agent recently contacted us with potential problems with Newfoundland. We decided to get our deposits back and did. We now are booked with Ryk Vysscher in Alberta. Looking for advice from anyone who has been to Alberta about getting meat home. It seems it is not as easy as NF as there are shippers there but not much choice in Alberta.
Positive thinking about being successful.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2014, 12:19 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I live and hunt close to the main area Ryk guides. I know half the guys that work for him. Contact Ryk as he will know more about options.
Flying it home may be costly. Not sure about shipping. I know when I guided for him there were a couple guys from New York that drove and brought a small trailer they had insulated. The Moose are processed locally and are froze in a day or two.
I have received meat from hunters that didn't want the hassle or needed/wanted to get home after early success.
I don't get that mindset, but their loss my gain.
Enjoy your hunt. You will see Moose every day.
They went 9 for 10 this past year and should have filled.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 1:24 pm 

Great choice! Keep us posted. Tell Ryk I said Hi and good luck.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 1:44 pm 

I hunted with AWGS this past fall and I felt like I was in florida at some beach, the temps. were in the mid 80s most of the days if not all. One moose was killed and that happened just before dark one evening. We hunted hard every morning and afternoon, had a few reacting to our calls but that was about it. Dean and Dave run a great camp and work hard at bringing those big beasts in, but the weather kicked our butts. I plan to go back again this fall, I made the drive to camp with the idea to bring the meat back home. That didn't happen but the drive wasn't that bad.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]