It is currently July 27th, 2017, 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: camp Food
PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 5:31 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I have 26 day till I will be chasseing elk? Been getting thing ready and was wondering what All you guy fix to eat in camp , Looking for some new ideas, So post some off your favorite recipes ,Snacks ETC

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: camp Food
PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 8:19 am 

I love Patrick Smith's (Kifaru fame) wild casserole. Google should turn up the recipe. Dry or wet, good both ways and never seems to get old.
Also like to dehydrate canned chicken and add it to an Alfredo noodle pack. Appropriate amount of powdered milk added. Just add water and evoo in camp.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 8:55 am 

Thanks , Looking more Of food for Base camp and cooking for a few pepole

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 11:02 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Hey Craig I find that the more prep you can do at home for any meal will make your life a lot easier in camp , less time and the more elaborate you can get. A couple days or even a week I cut up onions , bell pepper , green onions ,mushrooms, celery ect. put them in zip locks and freeze. or get a couple containers of the creole cut up veggies and bring it. Always carry a jar of refrigerated bacon grease.

Stewed Chicken and Dump lens with mushrooms:
First get a dutch oven or deep pot start heating with oil I like bacon grease .
Should have everything prepped gal. bag of deboned cut up and seasoned chicken, dump in hot oil and brown off I also like some of the skin in there for flavor. After browned take out put in bowl on the side.
Now put in all your veggies including mushrooms, I like big chunks portabellas about a quart size bag of veg mix cook this down add some more seasoning of choice I use slap yo mama but Tonies or others will do.
Then add some self rising flour to it about two or three hand fuls stir this in and slightly brown, then add 1 bottle of white wine I use a cheap chardonnay I'll usually carry a couple water bottles red or white for what ever I'm cooking. Stir in 3 small cans cream of chicken soup one large box or can of chicken broth bring back to light boil add chicken back rinse bowl in pot with a little water. Simmer on low fire about an hour.
While this is cooking prepare some bisquick roll out some dough cut in to small pieces use your imagination arrowheads what ever this is your dumpplins add about 30 minutes before done
Also while you were cooking and frying you should have another pot of boiling water going for some egg noodles for this to be served over add a little butter and salt to the water after hot and don't over cook your noodles. Whole thing about 1hr. 40min.
Serve with Carrots, Peas , what ever Veg you like.
BON APPETITE !!!
OH Don't forget desert.

Member of NRA

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 11:24 am 

I like a good meal in camp, so consequently do must of the cooking. I usually buy and prepare all of the fixings and then just split up the bill amongst how many guys are there.

I do most of my cooking ahead of time. I will make up a big batch of red beans and rice, leaving out the rice. Divide it up into vacuum sealer bags and seal it. They are then fairly small and flat and I stack them in the freezer and freeze them solid. I gallon or more will usually fit into three frozen bags. When the night comes for that meal I will lay the bags out to continue to thaw and then pour them all into a big dutch oven. While that is warming over the fire I will put another pot of water on and boil some of the rice that comes in a boiling bag. Once everything is done/hot I mix them together and serve. A gallon of premade mixture and four bags of rice will feed 12-15 guys.

I cook a lot of rice in camp. The value pack boxes stack well, rice is filling and easy to do. I put rice in my stews, chicken and rice, etc. I cook up most of my meals a week or a month in advance, when ever I have time around the house. Chicken and dumplings does well as does chili and venison stew. I just take them out of the freezer and stack the bags in my cooler. The bags will generally stay frozen, or at least cold enough to not be a concern for 5-6 days.

A good meal that everyone loves, regardless of the time of day is pancakes. I usually have a pancake dinner one night. It fills everyone up, is easy to do, clean up is easy and everyone loves pancakes. I use the batter that all you have to do is add water, break out my big cast iron griddle and make pancakes until everyone is laying around the campfire on their sides holding their bellys. I like to cook some of my home made link sausages or slab bacon along with the pancakes. I bring the syrup but last time I also brought a big jar of honey and it was a definite hit with the guys.

If I am doing the camp cooking there are two things that I never leave home without.... a good supply of bacon grease and at least one big bottle of hot sauce. I also keep a big jar of diced garlic and a bag of onions in the truck. My way of cooking, there is no such thing as too much garlic or too many onions.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 12:29 pm 

Thank's keep them coming

this is one of my Fav

POPPY SEED CAKE

1 yellow cake mix - mix as directed on package

Add:

1 INSTANT french vanilla pudding - (sometimes you can't find french vanilla so just use vanilla - it's almost as good)
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp. rum flavoring
1 tsp. butter flavoring
1 T. poppy seeds

Mix well and put in 12" dutch oven that has been greased and floured.

Put 9 coals on the bottom and 15 on top. Rotate the lid and then the oven 1/4 of a turn every 10 minutes. This helps it cook evenly. When the cake starts to pull away from the sides - about 30-40 minutes - take the oven off the bottom heat and leave the top heat on. When the cake falls - probably another 20-30 minutes - take top coals off.

TOPPING

4 T. melted butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate (not mixed)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond flavoring
1 tsp. lemon flavoring
1 cup or so of milk

Heat and serve warm over cake. (The powdered sugar lumps will dissolve as the sauce heats)

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 12:51 pm 

Craig that sounds really good. Somebody bring a hand crank Ice Cream churn and we're really in business. ;)

Randy I agree if i'm doing all the cooking ready cooked and froze is the way to go when your hunting especially after a long day and when daylight savings time is still in affect.
But when I only have to cook one meal the way they been sett en them up on the PBS
hunts I've been on where you cook one meal for the group I'll skip an evening off hunting to do up something special, love the way it all smells when you start from scratch an it all starts coming together.

Member of NRA

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 12:58 pm 

Peach cobbler

One box of cake mix ,stick butter, brown sugar , 4 fresh peaches ,bisquick

Melt ½ stick butter add 1cup brown sugar melt

Mix up cake mix per box add 1cup Bisquick. Mix it up

In Dutch oven:

Pour butter and brown sugar in bottom of Dutch oven, cut up peaches put in cake mix, every 15 min turn dutch oven

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 1:51 pm 

Quick and Easy Sides

Green Beans Mel Style
10" dutch oven or pot over fire
Fry up some bacon pieces and ham throw in some diced onions be generous with meats.
add 2 or 3 lg. cans of glory brand seasoned green beans with potatoes
add 1 can stewed tomatoes or two simmer about 20 min. 2 cans serves 6

Corn and Tomatoes
heat up couple cans corn throw in a can of stewed tomatoes simmer about 30 min.
tomatoes take the dullness out of plain corn

Barbecue Beans

Fry up bunch of bacon pieces with a little tasso ham throw in some chopped onions
little bell pepper add couple large cans Bush Beans add some brown sugar and some of your favorite barbecue sauce simmer about 15/20 minutes low fire .
Goes good with any Chard Meat

Member of NRA

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 6:13 am 

Are we hungry yet .
I know there are more cooks out their just jump right in show your secret recipes .

Member of NRA

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 7:04 am 

A good one pot dinner that everyone likes...

I put some bacon grease in the bottom of a large Dutch oven. Dice up two good sized onions, not too small. You want fairly good sized chunks. Spoon in a couple spoons of diced garlic and a diced up red pepper and let it all sautee down. Mean while I take two cans of Spam and cut them up into about 1/4" cubes and throw them in there and let them cook and brown with the onions and garlic for awhile. Once all of that is cooked down pretty good I pour in 4-6 cans of sweet yellow corn. I then drain a can of black beans, rinse them and drain them again. It is VERY important to rinse them a couple of times until the water you pour off is fairly clear and then pour the black beans in the pot. I salt liberally, pepper heavily and pour in a pretty good amount of Cilantro and let the pot simmer slowly covered for 1/2 hour or so. I take some Texas Toast and butter it and then fry it on my griddle to serve on the side.

No complaints yet.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 7:32 am 

Aren't we having elk for dinner? :lol:

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 9:29 am 

Yes we will have elk

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 180.35 KiB | Viewed 3123 times ]

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 9:51 am 
Craig,

I got a CanCooker last year after hearing another camper rave about them. I'd put off buying one as I thought they were more gimmicky--but I was totally wrong. I've now used them quite a few times camping and when filled can feed 10-12 people with no problem, plus the clean up is as easy as it gets. Basically they are a portable pressure cooker.

I mostly do just one recipe: line the bottom of the CanCooker with 6-8 ears of corn broken in half, then comes the potatoes (I like using small red russet with 3-4 per person), then a bag of baby carrots, then freshly cut green beans, and then the top layer is the meat (any type of sausage, kielbasa, etc.) cut up in small chunks. Then the liquid is added which can be anything but I add two beers.

Then you put the CanCooker on the heat source, stove at home, or propane/coals/fire in camp. When it starts to steam just wait 40 minutes and it's ready. I have a smaller cooler I pore everything into for easy serving plus it keeps the food hot.

I plan on bringing it next month for the Youth Hunt.

Doug

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 10:00 am 

Randy that also sounds good is that nibblets or cream corn. Craig you still cooking on the elk from last season or are we counting our chickens before they hatch :lol:

Member of NRA

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 11:56 am 

I always save a roost or two from last year , but things can happen
A good cobbler is always good

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2 MiB | Viewed 3108 times ]
File comment: And some brook'es are good
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 3108 times ]

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 12:08 am 

Regular Green Giant nibblets corn... I don't do cream corn. :(

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 10:34 am 

Don't forget to wash all this great food down with the nectar of the Gods...Diet Mt. Dew! :)

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 5:45 pm 

Terry at elk camp it's the hard stuff regular MT.DEW

PostPosted: July 24th, 2013, 6:45 am 

Craig, those must be some tough mountains if you are going "full octane"! :)

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 12:29 pm 

I made that poppy seed cake that Craig put here last weekend at a shoot. Wow, that one is a winner. Thanks for putting that up here Craig.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 1:20 pm 

That is a good one glad you liked it Greg

Did this one Sunday raspberry , blueberry, cocoanut

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 2844 times ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 1:56 pm 

Man that looks good ;)

Member of NRA

PostPosted: December 20th, 2014, 9:18 pm 

Im bringing this back up , how about some more camp food Recapies

PostPosted: December 21st, 2014, 6:59 pm 

I'm not much on recipes but here's my thoughts on camp meals..

I'm lucky because my wife is an excellent cook and she wants to participate in my hunting trips even if she doesn't go along. She has found ways to make some of my favorite meals in compact "kits".

One of my favorite home style "kits" is when she makes her famous meatballs in a special sauce and sauerkraut mixture. She also makes corn pudding at the same time.
The meatballs and corn pudding is wrapped in hearty meal sized portions separately in aluminum foil. Then she puts them in Zip lock bags and freezes them.

In Elk camp I simply pull out these kits and place them on top of the camp cook shack wood stove. I might open a can of green beans and make instant potatoes or wrap a potato in aluminum foil and cook it on top of the wood stove. All you have to do is listen for The sizzling in the foil and the smell is heavenly.

My buddy Larry can't wait for elk camp meatballs and corn pudding!

I sometimes bring along her frozen home made turkey soup and boil water to make noodles fresh in camp. Generous sized slices of turkey breast and along with a couple strips of bacon on bread for a sandwich and it's just like the day after thanksgiving!

I do a host of other camp mainstays but the home cooked meals are my favorite.

Everybody has great ideas about camp food. One thing I do avoid is being the guy that shows up and say's........"Hey I found some old venison in the freezer from 10 years ago. Here you go." Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hunt if I didn't enjoy wild game, but lets be reasonable.

I think it's a compliment to my wife to want to have her cooking brought into camp. She sends me off a thousand miles away with a taste of home to share with my buddies in elk camp. She likes to know how everybody liked the food she made.
It's her way of being there.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2016, 2:25 pm 

Let's bring this back , ok guy add away let's have some more recipes

PostPosted: May 14th, 2016, 6:33 pm 

Base camp food.
In a disposable aluminum pan, cook onions and garlic with quartered potatoes, until opaque, in bacon fat or oil (I use a stick of butter). Add pepper and other spices (I use a lot of cayenne powder or chopped jalapenos from my garden). Add chopped bell peppers, green, red & yellow, zucchini or cut up squash, & chopped tomatoes. Several minutes later add andouille sausage. Once things are about 5 minutes from finished add a bunch of shrimp & sliced mushrooms. This is great over rice or noodles. Have your hunting buddy whip up some corn bread. Yee haw.

I suggest making this during the first or second night in camp, you're shrimp will still be happy.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2016, 7:19 pm 

All right Craig, I owe you at least one for that awesome poppy seed cake.
In my book if you are making camp food it has to have two requirements (usually).
1, It has to be made in a dutch oven or at least iron.
2, KISS, keep it simple stupid.
This is a rather easy one and can be adapted to taste easily. It is called:

Mexican Chicken and Rice

1 table spoon oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 each, onion and green pepper chopped
1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweet corn, thawed
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa (heat to taste)
1 ½ cups minute rice uncooked
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oil in dutch oven. Add chicken, onion and pepper, cook and stir until chicken is cooked through.
Add corn, broth and salsa, bring to boil.
Stir in rice, cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir, sprinkle with cheese, cover. Let stand 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2016, 11:27 pm 

Thanks Greg how you doing man

PostPosted: May 14th, 2016, 11:32 pm 

Keep them coming guys I know a lot of guys out there's got great recipes so keep them coming maybe we need to come up with the cookbook just a thought nothing better good food at camp So please post away