It is currently November 24th, 2014, 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 8:12 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I recently received notification that my Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation dues are up for renewal. I seem to remember last year that several people had some issues with the way the organization conducted itself. Could anyone share some insight on their opinion of the organization before I spend the money to renew?
I've been a member for over 20 years and just want to ensure that this organization and I still share the same values.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 12:32 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
George nice moose have been a member for a while not as long as you though . I always thought they were a good organization transplanting Elk back to some of their
roots , but I do recall some negative comments from others not really sure who or what
though. As long as they are helping replenish Elk herds and helping provide through
harsh winters I'll have to keep supporting them.
PS you missed a great hog hunt, also won't be able to make the Compton shoot this
weekend being punished have to work :(

Member of NRA

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 1:11 am 

George that is a dandy Moose!! That must be the one you told me about. Congrats! Sorry I can't help with the RMEF.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 6:39 am 

I do remember that conversation, although I don't remember all of the details. I think there may have been some criticisms about the organization acquiring a lot of land and habitat and then not allowing hunting on it - or only allowing hunting to high paying donors - or something along those lines.

. . . don't take what I am saying as fact; this is just my foggy recollection of the discussion. I am interested to hear what others have to say. I've never taken the time to join; maybe I should, as I have now been bitten by the elk bug after my hunt last year.

"Son, I think its time that you consider pulling your head out of your butt" -- Regular Life Member, Tom Kinney

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 8:13 am 

Every organization is going to have its pro's and cons.. look at PBS. However I believe that the good strongly outweighs any negatives with either of these organizations. They put their (our) money where their mouth is. They have purchased huge amounts of wildlife habitat, some on their own, most thru partnerships with landowners and state game agencies. The only thing i can say about possibly not being able to hunt some of these pieces is that at least they are there for the animals. Not a shopping mall...or is that a contradiction? anyway my .02.. I am a life member and a local committee member. i encourage anyone who hunts or just enjoys wild places and hopes that maybe their children and grandchildren will have a place to do the same to please join RMEF.. not a lot of money, although I know you cant join them all..and they do put out a nice magazine

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 9:13 am 

Many western members were not happy with the RMEF when they initially refused to take a stand against the wolf reintroduction, 10+ years ago. Mention the word "wolf" in the west and you have got everybody's blood up right quick. Now they are finally speaking out, but a little late.

I had heard some second-hand stories about fund mismanagement at local chapters, but I don't know this info as a fact, as I am not active in any local chapters.

I do like how they stood up for Jim Zumbo, a guy I respect a lot, when the NRA crapped on him several years ago and disowned hIm because of his comments that assault rifles and AR-15'S don't belong in the woods for hunting.

I was on the fence last year but renewed, and will do so again this year. I have been a member for many years.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Life Member
Here's another, to me, positive perspective to RMEF. This was send to me (and other NBEF board members) by Marilyn Bentz---the link to the whole discussion: http://www.onyourownadventures.com.

I've never seen the show or heard about it until reading this but Randy Newber, host of On Your Own Adventures (which apparently promotes DIY hunts), has been appointed as a Director for NBEF. When his appointment was announced MOGA (Montana Outfitters and Guide Association) basically tried to blackmail RMEG saying that if Newberg's appointment was finalized they would ensure that their members would withdraw donated hunts and such. And it seems that WYOGA joined in a little later.

It seems that the guide association's are getting a blackeye over this attempt to "push" guided hunts over DIYs.

RMEF let everyone know that they stood behind Newberg's appointment and he is now a confirmed director.

As has already been mentioned I'm sure anyone can find something about every organization out there to "not like" but when you look at RMEF's overall picture I believe their positives far outweight any negative concerns. And this instance is another positive. (I've been a member since the late 80's after buying an issue of Bugle while on vacation in WY.)

Last edited by Doug Clayton on February 21st, 2013, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 3:05 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Life Member
Longtime RMEF member. They have done more for reintroduction of elk, improvement of elk habitat, and brokering the sale/purchase of private lands for public use than all other organizations combined. Like any organization, if you only want to focus on what you don't like you are sure to find something.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 3:46 pm 

Sounds like I ought to join!

"Son, I think its time that you consider pulling your head out of your butt" -- Regular Life Member, Tom Kinney

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 10:37 pm 

I decided to re-up as a result of this thread-thanks guys!

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2013, 6:26 am 

Interesting timing, just got my latest Bugle magazine. The amount of land they have preserved for wildlife is amazing, which will benefit all wildlife, not just elk. Renewal check is in the mail today.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2013, 3:28 pm 

8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2013, 12:06 pm 

Besides not only do you get a knife you also get a hatchet with a membership this time. That’s what the paper work told me anyway. :D

One thought I have is if everyone dropped out of an organization because they don't like one little aspect of the organization there wouldn't be any organizations. They aren’t perfect and you have to look at the bigger picture and decide if they are moving in the general direction you like. You just have to decide if you can live with their faults.

I know I am terrible at expressing my thoughts on the computer but I hope you get my drift.

Olin

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2013, 7:23 pm 

The RMEF was instrumental in helping restore elk in TN. My wife and I went up to the North Cumberland WMA today and saw 27 elk at the Hatfield Knob elk viewing area. I met one of the key members in the local chapter and one of the TWRA game managers. Real nice folks. They told us some exciting stories about darting and relocating the elk. I'm not really a big "joiner" typically, but after seeing the work here, I might sign up and get involved. I'll post some pics of the elk we saw in another topic.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2013, 2:36 pm 

Olin, I just went to the website to join. Didn't see the hatchet and knife deal. Not a big deal, but it would be cool to get in on that. Could you let me know where you saw that?