It is currently June 23rd, 2017, 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 9:03 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I've always used cedar when making/shooting wood shafts. I'm leaning towards trying either Douglas Fir or Sitka Spruce. Anyone have any experience with either? Pros and cons, who did you get them from, etc. I'm shooting between 52 and 55 pound longbows and usually a 145 grain head.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 9:55 am 
Site Admin

I've just recently finished a few dozen Douglas Fir shafts. I like them and they straighten up well for me. I did have to finish and sand them more than the POCs I have done but overall very similar. I get a little methodical about it. :ugeek:

Here are some. I did a dozen OSU orange and black and a dozen OU red and white for out local banquet. Both of the winning bidders WILL NOT shoot them. They say they're too pretty to shoot.

I just finished the wifes and she shot them this weekend and they are great!

The Douglas Fir are little heavier than the POCs I've been using but nothing major.
Attachment:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 635.81 KiB | Viewed 711 times ]

PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 10:53 am 

I've switched to Surewood Douglus fir shafts from POC and hexspine shafts. Good weight (I get an average of 715 gr finished arrow with a 30.5" 23/64 tapered shaft with 125-gr BH), very straight and stay that way, nice grain pattern (unlike POC which is hardly visable), take a stain well, durable, etc. I get mine from Rick at The Feathered Shaft - straightest shafts I've ever bought! I can also get in heavy spine I need (105-110#).

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 10:56 pm 

Thanks for the input fellas. Nice job on the arrows Bryan!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 8:50 am 

Surewoods all the way! They are durable, most are straight, the few that need a slight tweaking do so easily, and look great because of the grain. I was reading a publication from the 1930's the other day. The arrow shaft makers were selling POC and Douglas Fir. The only other shafts that I like are the older POC shafts...hard to come by. But with Surewoods I don't miss them.

Attachments:
ar1.jpg
ar1.jpg [ 684.32 KiB | Viewed 678 times ]

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 10:20 am 

I have to plug Surewoods, too. these are the best quality wood shafts I've seen since I ran out of Acme premiums 15 years ago. aside from the high quality, they are availible in a wide variety of both spine and grain weights. pretty easy to get a 700+ grain arrow with Fir shafts and Woodyweights. I bought 5 dozen last summer, and being slightly obsessive-compulsive about matching my wood arrows, the first thing I did was hand spine and weigh each shaft. very consistent, all fell within the range I ordered, and there was only one or two arrows out of 60 that I wouldn't put a broadhead on. they fly as good as any Port Orford cedar I ever shot. The guys at Surewood were very good to deal with, and the price is (was?) the same as Rose City's "premium"(and I use that word loosely) shafts. not a better wood shaft out there for the money, imo.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 10:27 am 

also, I found Sitka spruce to be a huge disappointment. I shot laminated birch for a few years, too. liked them pretty well, but they are getting expensive. I gave up on hickory, ash, birch. too much fussing to make and keep them straight. I like making bows, not arrows. making arrows is strictly an excersize in utility for me. :D

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 7:23 pm 

I'm a Surewood fan also. I order mine from Braveheart archery. They are a little heavier than cedar and hold up better. Mine have been right on in spine and within 10 grains, or less, weight variance in every dozen I've ordered. I love em!
I made up a dozen with purpleheart footing a couple weeks ago. Not near as nice as Davids and Bryans but I needed to see if I could post a picture!

Attachment:
P1010084(1).JPG
P1010084(1).JPG [ 462.89 KiB | Viewed 652 times ]

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 8:20 pm 

I too am a Surewood DF fan. They are all I use and I seem to go through alot of arrows!

"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 11:03 pm 

Thanks guys. Sounds like I really need to try the Surewood shafts.

Brad, nice job on the arrows. Those are super cool! I've never tried footing any arrows, but love the looks of them.